New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
Fly sparging doesn't give you better efficiency, it just takes a heck of a lot longer.
I disagree, but whatever works for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2598 Times on 2045 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig

I disagree, but whatever works for you.
You disagree that it takes longer?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
earwig

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

You disagree that it takes longer?
No, I get better efficiency. I hate spending that extra 45min-1hr.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2598 Times on 2045 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig

No, I get better efficiency. I hate spending that extra 45min-1hr.
Then don't! I get great efficiency batch sparging. You should really give it a shot one more time with a nice fine crush if you haven't already.

Lol I went to my buddy's house recently while he was brewing and he was flipping out because he had been fly sparging and hadn't been attending the kettle, got a stuck sparge and overflowed his MT. One more thing to not worry about.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraham602 View Post
i batch sparge, but i have fly sparged once. Maybe I'll give that a try again. Seems like I wouldn't leave as much water behind in my mash tun by fly sparging. I've noticed that on a few occasions my calculations for sparge water needed have been off and I've batch sparged with too much water.
The type of sparge you do makes very little difference in efficiency if you do every thing right. My batch sparge efficiency is as high or higher than many fly spargers. Batch sparging with too much water can only increase your efficiency, assuming you boil down to your intended volume. And you can get low efficiency fly sparging if your lautering system isn't well designed.

The #1 factor in efficiency is grain crush. After that things like water chemistry and mash ratio can have an effect. But the first place to look is always the crush.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
sgraham602

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Batch sparging with too much water can only increase your efficiency, assuming you boil down to your intended volume. .
Do you mean decrease efficiency? I would have just assumed that batch sparging would make your efficiency worse.

Unless you're collecting all of that extra sparge water. in my case I have sparged with too much water and not been able to collect all of the second runnings due to my kettle size.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
earwig

Recipes 

Denny is known to be the most pro-batch sparging person around. I never get as good efficiency as I do when I fly sparge. I am curious, is everyone who fly sparges just stupid? Are the people who make the fly sparge systems (commerically/pre-built) just out to rip everyone off?

Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraham602 View Post
Do you mean decrease efficiency? I would have just assumed that batch sparging would make your efficiency worse.

Unless you're collecting all of that extra sparge water. in my case I have sparged with too much water and not been able to collect all of the second runnings due to my kettle size.
Yeah, if you can't collect all the runnings, you leave sugar behind and can decrease your efficiency. But if you can collect all the wort you sparge, it will increase your efficiency. To make sure you use the right amount of water, after you run off the sparge measure how much wort you've got. Subtract that from the amount you want to boil. The answer you get is how much sparge water to use. Be sure there's no dead space in your tun or you'll be leaving sugar behind. I tip my tun at the end of the runoff to be sure I've got all the wort.

Batch sparging can be as efficiency as fly sparging and sometimes even moreso.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post
Denny is known to be the most pro-batch sparging person around. I never get as good efficiency as I do when I fly sparge. I am curious, is everyone who fly sparges just stupid? Are the people who make the fly sparge systems (commerically/pre-built) just out to rip everyone off?
Come on, you know neither statement is true. It's simply a choice of techniques and one works as well as the other if done correctly. My efficiency is usually in the 83-87% range. It takes me less equipment than when I fly sparged, it takes less time, and it minimizes the possibility of tannin extraction. But it's a choice I made, just like you made the choice to fly sparge. Now, I know if a lot of people who have switched from fly to batch sparging and never looked back. It's as much a personal choice as how you like to cook or what movies you want to watch.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #20
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I would say that consistency is much more important than efficiency (on a homebrew scale); nail your process to get consistent numbers and then adjust recipes accordingly.

nurture my pig

Quick Reply