Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Effic. Sucks......

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
GABrewboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Effic. Sucks......

My effic. just plain sucks.....no matter what I do it seems as though I cannot get about 60-63%. I am using the Igloo 60 qt cooler with that little ridge in it with the wheels, then a SS braided hose for my filter. I stir at my mashin for a couple of mins, let rest for an hour, then batch sparge and once I have added my sparge water I stir another couple of mins and let rest for about 10-15 mins and then let her flow out. What can I do to improve this or am I doing something wrong here? HELP!!!! A man brewer in need of some serious help with serious issues.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Try stirring it after 15 minutes & check the temperature. Square coolers can get too cold in the corners.

Are you doing one sparge or two? If you are only doing one, add a gallon of 180F water to the mash after the sparge runoff, let that rest & then check the gravity. If the gravity is over 1.015, that's the problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
GABrewboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I am only doing one sparge! Should I divide the water and do two sparges then?

Old 12-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

One thing that you may be encountering (read this from Palmer) is your cooler is large.

http://howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD-3.html

I bet if you made a high gravity or doubled your batch size you'd be in business.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How fine is your crush? Thats a sure fire way to pick up some efficiency points, crush finer. I've hears some say, crush fine enough that you're scared. Just a thought.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayof2day
How fine is your crush? Thats a sure fire way to pick up some efficiency points, crush finer. I've hears some say, crush fine enough that you're scared. Just a thought.
I agree. This is something that helped me too, especially if you are batch sparging. My grain looks like this.You should see lots of the white endosperm from the inside of the husk. What is the temp of the water used in the 2nd infusion.

Gary

Old 12-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
GABrewboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The cooler is one of the tall square cube coolers, so the volume goes up and not out.....would that make a difference? I am not sure on how fine the crush is, I get it done that the LHBS. Can they change their crush or do I need to invest in a grain mill now too.....Wife would love that.....:O I used 177 degree water for my sparge.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Bed depth makes no difference when you are batch sparging. Tell your LHBS that you aren't getting very good efficiency and you'd like to crush the next batch a little finer. Most mills are adjustable & the store may not know people are having problems. Sometimes just running it through the mill twice helps.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
docbee
Recipes 

One thing to consider is how high from the bottom of the cooler is the nipple that you attach your SS cord?? If there is quite a distant than the dead space (or residual volume) is going to be higher and thus decrease your efficiency. In my cooler I had to elbow down and then reverse elbow to get the nipple closer to the bottom since the height was about 1 1/2 inches And if this is the case then you need to do the above or sparge twice to reduce the amounts of sugars left from the dead space. When I did double sparges I always ended up with more preboil volume so I had to boil longer to get to my finished volume.

From your other thread about this there was some confusion as to when you are measuring the SG. Is it preboil or post boil??

Old 12-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Bed depth makes no difference when you are batch sparging. Tell your LHBS that you aren't getting very good efficiency and you'd like to crush the next batch a little finer. Most mills are adjustable & the store may not know people are having problems. Sometimes just running it through the mill twice helps.

Ahh, tis true. I fly sparge and was thinking on this. I missed that in the post. Sorry to throw you GAB!

Quick Reply