Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Effects of Cloudy Wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
Chris_B
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Effects of Cloudy Wort?

So I am still in the early experimental stage and decided to do a partial mash for my fifth brew. I went with a recipe for a mild, both to try something new and to keep the grain-bill down on my first grain attempt. I am doing half-sized (2.5 gal) batches and after looking at the grain bill figured "What the hell!" and did it all grain instead of a partial mash.

With only 4 pounds of grain, I used a 2.5 gallon rectangular cooler - the size that fits a twelve-pack of soda cans and is taller than it is wide. It doesn't have a spigot and I haven't installed a braid, false bottom, or anything.

I batch sparged by scooping the grains into a fine-mesh strainer over the brew pot to let them drain, then return to the cooler for a batch of sparge water for about 10 minutes and few stirs. Scoop back to strainer, then rinse by pouring the remaining sparge water over the grains in the strainer. It seemed to work well efficiency-wise. I came up with almost 69% efficiency. Alright for a first-timer, eh?

However, with no grain bed to filter, the wort was really cloudy. So what can I expect taste-wise from the cloudiness? Not too worried about appearances at the moment, but might consider finings in the fermenter or the bottle if needed.

Lay some wisdom on me, oh lords of the brew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Let it sit in the fermenter until nearly clear. Most of the particles will drop out during the ferment, but extra clearing time is always good.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Chris_B
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Let it sit in the fermenter until nearly clear. Most of the particles will drop out during the ferment, but extra clearing time is always good.
Now that's my kind of answer - do a little extra nothing!

I was worried that boiling the cloudy wort would produce off-flavors or tannins or something.

Thanks!

Chris

Old 10-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B

I was worried that boiling the cloudy wort would produce off-flavors or tannins or something.

Chris

It may - but I wouldn't worry about it this time. Get to work on your MLT so you can sparge clear wort on your next batch

Quick Reply