Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Effect of mash temp on hop utilization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
prrriiide
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Effect of mash temp on hop utilization

Several months ago, I brewed a kolsh-ish lawnmower beer. Most people think it's the best I ever did. I did it as a partial BIAB, with a small amount of extract. The mash temp was about 156*.

Several weeks ago, I brewed another batch, this time using my igloo mash tun, and lowering the mash temp to 152*. I seem to notice a lot more hop flavor in this batch than the last. The consensus is that the first batch was far superior in terms of smoothness from start to finish, and overall flavor. Others have mentioned the hop difference, so I know I'm not the only one tasting it.

Aside from the mash temp and the process (tun vs. BIAB), the only other difference is more control of the fermentation temps. The first batch was fermented under a wet t-shirt in a swamp cooler. The second batch was fermented at 65* in a ferm box. Other than that, the recipe was identical.

Did the lower mash temp allow for more hop flavor to come through?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Higher mash temp=less fermentables=more residual sugars=more malt flavor=less percieved hop bitterness.

-d

Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
BOBTHEukBREWER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So I mash at 68-69 deg C and my beer is certailnly bitter enough but lacking in aroma. Should I use more hops for the last 5 minutes when I add (to 6 gals of wort) 1 oz of cascade or amarillo hops

Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBTHEukBREWER View Post
So I mash at 68-69 deg C and my beer is certailnly bitter enough but lacking in aroma. Should I use more hops for the last 5 minutes when I add (to 6 gals of wort) 1 oz of cascade or amarillo hops
Do you dry hop?

Quick Reply