Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > The effect of efficiency on flavor extraction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default The effect of efficiency on flavor extraction

If my efficiency were really low, would I have to add more malts that are primarily used for flavor like roasted barley, dextrine malt, or crystal? In other words, does efficiency affect the extraction of malt flavors, or does it only affect fermentable malts? The reason I ask this is because I'm thinking of doing a partygisle (sp?) mash/lauter process in a few weeks.

Keg 2: Empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
greg75

Recipes 

I have been told that you really only need to take the base malts into account when adjusting for efficiency, but I bump every grain up a bit, just to be on the safe side.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Mashing flavor malts is much like giving them a really long steep. Unless your efficiency problems are tied to your sparge, they should be fine.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply