Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Effeciency and the steel braid???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #21
rj0715
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

my 2 cents worth..... looks like you cant stir up the bottom of the mash therefore you leave a bunch of sugar content in the bottom of your tun hence the 10 to 20 point drop in efficiency as compared to others with braid.......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #22
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

consider a copper tube manifold. no problem with cleaning, floating, crushing the braid or stirring worries. i switched a few months ago. world of difference.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #23
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on putting a coil of copper wire inside the braid. I had floating/crushing issues, so I put in a spiral of solid copper wire (12 gauge house electrical wire). No more issues. Also, your braid looks really long.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:08 AM   #24
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunBikeBrew View Post
+1 on putting a coil of copper wire inside the braid. I had floating/crushing issues, so I put in a spiral of solid copper wire (12 gauge house electrical wire). No more issues. Also, your braid looks really long.
i just stretched mine out from the relaxed state of ~5/8 x 8 to ~1/4 x ~14. good idea on the copper coil inside, i have yet to re mash since i stretched and added my copper cap filled with solder to weigh the end down.

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Quick Reply