Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Effeciency and the steel braid???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
brewingkitty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i put a 1/2 copper cap filled to the rim with silver bearing solder in the end of my stainless braid with a stainless hose clamp to prevent the floating action; and hopefully resolve my stuck mashes i have been falling victim to.

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

That is a long braided section. I used to have the issue with the braid comming up into the grains. I cut it off and it is only about 8 inches. I have gotten the same efficiency with both the long braid and the short. 75-80%. Luck!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #13
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Another thought...are you sure the braid is not being crushed under the weight of the grain bed? Have you added any kind of structural integrity to the inside of the braid? I (and a lot of others) have used a section of copper wire. You wrap it around a pencil to form it and then insert inside the braid. This adds some rigidity.

The 3:00 minute mark of thsi video shows what I am talking about:

I had a hard time finding any copper wire at the local home improvement stores so I just bought a length of 10-2 electrical wire, split the casing and ripped out the ground wire. This has proven to work exceptionally well for me.

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
Northcalais40
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

maybe reundant, but put a short hose or line from the spout down to the bottom and then attach the braid so you siphon off the bottom, reducing dead space

Old 09-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I have a short hose (pun intended) and nothing inside of it to keep its shape (double entendre intendred). No problems with floating or efficiency. Think about it. All of that hose doesn't increase the diameter of the outlets at all. I suspect that beyond 6-8 inches you're likely to have rapidly diminshing marginal utility, and an increasing likelihood, certainly, of the hose floating.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
johnodon
Recipes 

I'm Irish so 6 - 8 inches is a world away! :S

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #17
HopheadNJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgarlic View Post
I have a short hose (pun intended) and nothing inside of it to keep its shape (double entendre intendred). No problems with floating or efficiency. Think about it. All of that hose doesn't increase the diameter of the outlets at all. I suspect that beyond 6-8 inches you're likely to have rapidly diminshing marginal utility, and an increasing likelihood, certainly, of the hose floating.
I can attest to this as well. My braid is probably 8-10 inches, with a square plug in the end. I've had no issues with the braid floating and have been getting crazy efficiency (87% according to BS). Only issue I've seen approaching is the braid slightly collapsing and/or stretching. Oh well, i guess thats a sign for an upgrade in the future!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
johnodon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopheadNJ View Post
I can attest to this as well. My braid is probably 8-10 inches, with a square plug in the end. I've had no issues with the braid floating and have been getting crazy efficiency (87% according to BS). Only issue I've seen approaching is the braid slightly collapsing and/or stretching. Oh well, i guess thats a sign for an upgrade in the future!
I do exactly the same thing...square brass plug in the end like this one:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92576-104-LF...are brass plug

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Unscrew that tee and put a 45 degree elbow, then a hose barb. Hopefully that combo will put the end of the barb very close to the bottom of the cooler. Then slide on a 10" piece of braid and clamp it. Then clamp on a 1/4" NPT pipe plug to the open end.

I was getting high 80's to low 90's % efficiency in a cooler with a braid. You have too much deadspace.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #20
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I doubt the braid is the issue. Whether it floats or not doesn't really matter. The wort doesn't travel through the length of the braid like it would with a manifold system. The braid isn't solid at any. The reality is that the wort enters the braid at the point where it connects with your brass "T" fitting. You could actually achieve the same results if you just put a piece of fine mesh screen over the openings of the fitting. If you are having issues, it's likely due to the height of the drain in the cooler itself, or the height of the "T" fitting. Bobby M actually probably has the best suggestion. Replace the "T" with an elbow to lower the drain height. Or at least attach a barb straight to the nipple and attach your braid to that.

Quick Reply