Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ed Wort's Haus Ale...could I have missed the fermentation from 12 AM - 11 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
Jayfro21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ed Wort's Haus Ale...could I have missed the fermentation from 12 AM - 11 AM

I finished mine last night around 8PM (1st AG), and pitched the Nottingham at around 78F. I had no airlock activity by the time I went to bed at around 12 (which I expected), but I still have no airlock activity now. The temp is right around 68 F, and I do notice a small krausen through my fermentation bucket at the top. My question is: could I have missed the fermentation from 12 AM - 11 AM, since I know that it ferments fast? My seal seems great on the bucket, so I don't think it is that. Just wondering how fast others that have brewed the Haus Ale fermented out? Thanks!

Jason

Primary 1: ESB
Primary 2: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Secondary 3: Empty
Bottled: Nothing!
Up next: Common ESB, porter, probably some Belgian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfro21
I finished mine last night around 8PM (1st AG), and pitched the Nottingham at around 78F. I had no airlock activity by the time I went to bed at around 12 (which I expected), but I still have no airlock activity now. The temp is right around 68 F, and I do notice a small krausen through my fermentation bucket at the top. My question is: could I have missed the fermentation from 12 AM - 11 AM, since I know that it ferments fast? My seal seems great on the bucket, so I don't think it is that. Just wondering how fast others that have brewed the Haus Ale fermented out? Thanks!

Jason
Did you miss it? No I doubt it. Is your bucket not sealed good? Yup..
I have one bucket that "seems" like it's tight but I NEVER see any bubbles in the lock and they all ferment out. So don't worry about it.
Give it a day and then if you REALLY need to know, crack the lid open enough to have a look in there. Other then that, leave it alone and enjoy a brew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Jayfro21
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402
Did you miss it? No I doubt it. Is your bucket not sealed good? Yup..
I have one bucket that "seems" like it's tight but I NEVER see any bubbles in the lock and they all ferment out. So don't worry about it.
Give it a day and then if you REALLY need to know, crack the lid open enough to have a look in there. Other then that, leave it alone and enjoy a brew.
Yeah, the thing is this is only the 3rd brew I have done in this bucket, and the previous two I have had plenty of airlock activity. If it is anything, it is probably the hole the stopper goes into that is not sealing, I'll have to check that. Thanks!

Jason

Old 12-30-2007, 04:10 AM   #4
Jayfro21
Recipes 

So for some reason it took 24 hours to start, but now it is going like mad...not really sure why there was a slight krausen at the top earlier? Anyways, it is kicking a@@ right now, and we will see how it goes! Thanks for the input!

Jason

Old 03-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

I used Nottinghams in my EW clone too. Once it gets gong it really makes some foam.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
Omegagodly
Recipes 

i actually just finished fermenting a batch of that and now its resting happily carbonating in bottles. my fermentation seemed slightly slow going at first as well, but i was not around it to check on it as much as i would have since its at my father in laws house. it did bubble though after a little bit and definitely finished at FG. i just bottled yesterday and im really excited to try this brew. cheers to edwort for creating this recipe, the grav samples were tasty!

Old 03-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
rtt121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
and pitched the Nottingham at around 78F.
This seems high to me.. have you pitched this high with Notty before and got clean results?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Omegagodly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt121 View Post
This seems high to me.. have you pitched this high with Notty before and got clean results?
i pitched my notty into my batch of haus pale ale when it was around low-mid 80's. i wast proud of it, but it took forever to get my temps down, and i had to get to bed, so i did it and the yeasties had no problem working away, i've bottled that batch and it tasted great before i did.

Quick Reply