Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > easiest/best way to add strike water to mash tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #21
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Ah, yes. Get a half inch, and drill a bigger hole. I transfer about 4 gallons of strike in about a minute I think.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I know this is not what most want to hear, but getting a brew stand and and/or using pumps makes all of this so much easer. You can be off a little and fix it no problem.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #23
Rahahb
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use any of the online calculators for strike temp, heat my water to a couple higher than target and pour the volume into the mash tun. I have my tun on the ground, and rest the kettle/hlt on the table and tip it over and let it pour into the tun.

Let it sit for a few minutes to heat soak the tun, then bring it down to the strike temp by stirring. Then, you just pour grains in. I never get dough balls, and my mash temp is within 1 degree of target.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #24
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 16

i haven't read all the responses but i've been adding half the strike water at abour 12F over my goal. then i add the grain and check the new temp after stirring. then i use the other half of the strike addition to correct the temp.

Pipeline:

Paterbiersbier (pils, special roast, caravienne, strisselspalt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Homebrewing as a way to save money is like getting married as a way to always have sex.

Quick Reply