Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dunkelweizen Mini-Mash (Please Help)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
au1991rx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dunkelweizen Mini-Mash (Please Help)

PREFACE: This is my first time doing this - just extract/steeping before now.

This is a AHS mini-mash kit which does come with very good directions. But, I have made one of those 5 gallon round Target cooler mash tun and things dont match up since my steps are a little different, I think. Their recipe uses a grain bag and water volumes don't match/have me confused.

0.5 lb Caramunich
1.25 lb Munich
0.25 lb Special B
0.125 lb Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb Caramel Wheat
1.25 lb German Pilsner
Total 3.625 lbs Grain

OK @ 1.375 qts/lb mash water would be 1.25 gal 170F (pre-heat cooler boiling water). Add grains, put lid on. Recipe says 155F for 45 min.
Q: Do I stir? How often during the 45 minutes?

Collect first runnings and pour back over grains until wort clears.
Q: How do you pour carefully to not disturb the grain bed? The 5 gallon cooler is kind of deep and I would have to pour from height. Or is it fine to just pour slowly and not worry about it.

The next step is where I am most confused.
Q: How much sparge water? How do you calculate? Do I just guess until I get my small system dialed in. I want about 3.5 gallons wort (or more since it calls for a 60 minute boil - but how much more?). I dont have a way to quickly cool much more than about 3.5 gallons for now (no chillers, etc.). How hot should the sparge water be? Do I stir during the sparge? Do I let it sit for a period of time?

Sorry for all the questions. I am on a new learning curve. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

1. Stir the mash when you add the water to be certain everything is wet & at the same temp. No further stirring needed.
2. Put an inverted plate on top of the grain bed. Pour onto the plate.
3. Assuming you are batch sparging: 2 gal. @ 170F, stir, let sit for ten min. stir, recirculate until clear. Drain. Check how much wort you have, total. 2nd sparge: enough water to bring the total up to 4 gal.

I've actually done well following their directions: 2.5 gallons for the mash, no sparging. But, sparging works even better.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply