The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > dual-pot all grain brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
nickster51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default dual-pot all grain brewing

I've been trying to get together the equipment for an all-grain batch. One expense I'm hesitant about is a $60-80 pot that can hold 7'sh gallons for doing the hour boil. Could this be done with two 4 gallon pots (have one, can get another for $15). I figure managing two 4 gallon pots with 2.5-3 gallons of wort each isn't much more work. All of it is going into the same bucket so I figure hops can just be split up. Also the wort will cool faster if it's in two lower volumes.

Is there a downside to this method? I'm in college so I'm very tight on money but I want to brew beer. All grain kits are cheaper and sound more enjoyable.

Any thoughts on this? am I breaking any rules?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster51 View Post
I've been trying to get together the equipment for an all-grain batch. One expense I'm hesitant about is a $60-80 pot that can hold 7'sh gallons for doing the hour boil. Could this be done with two 4 gallon pots (have one, can get another for $15). I figure managing two 4 gallon pots with 2.5-3 gallons of wort each isn't much more work. All of it is going into the same bucket so I figure hops can just be split up. Also the wort will cool faster if it's in two lower volumes.

Is there a downside to this method? I'm in college so I'm very tight on money but I want to brew beer. All grain kits are cheaper and sound more enjoyable.

Any thoughts on this? am I breaking any rules?

Thanks!
Sure, you could do that. But do you have a stove that has two burners powerful enough to boil two pots of over 3 gallons of wort? That can be an issue for many brewers. I have a "turkey fryer" set up that easily boils 6.5 gallons of wort, and they are used outside. Prior to that, I did what you are talking about. But I have a very high BTU gas stove, and I can boil very large volumes inside the house. I just didn't have a big enough pot- so I split it up equally and boiled them both and combined once cooled. Since the boil-off rate will be twice what one pot will be, you'd need to start with about 3.5 gallons of wort in each pot, maybe a little more, to end up with 5 gallons going into the fermenter.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My 30 quart pot cost $20 at academy sports. It's working for now. (Still wish I had a 40-60 qt pot though)

Primary:A simple Bock, Vienna

Bottled: Centennial Blonde, Mostly Dead Guy Ale, Pale Rye Ale

On Deck: waiting...

Old 08-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster51 View Post
I've been trying to get together the equipment for an all-grain batch. One expense I'm hesitant about is a $60-80 pot that can hold 7'sh gallons for doing the hour boil.
Then don't spend that. You should be able to get a 30-36 qt aluminum pot/steamer for <$25. Check Walmart/Target/Menards/etc.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
TechyDork
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

amazon.com has some sood prices on larger pots, you should be able to get a burner and a 40qt pot for around $120 and i think they even have some that qualify for free shipping.

I have been doing PM's on my stove using a 20qt pot and a 12qt pot with good results, and i have an anchient electric stove. it just takes 20-30 min to get 3 gal of wart to boil, but i dont' mind. just more time prep and clean up.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

How about this: Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 3066A 30-Quart Outdoor Turkey Fryer Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I have that exact turkey fryer kit but stopped using the burner. I just do it on the kitchen stove and straddle the pot over two burners.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

yep, I do that to heat my mash and sparge. Then I head out back to the bayou burner for the boil.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Get a turkey fryer from Craig's List, just make sure it's min 30 qt and unused. Like this one for $20: Turkey Fryer
Trust me, you will love it. Outdoor brewing is way easier, you don't mess up the kitchen, not to mention all that heat in your house coming from boiling 6 gal of liquid for 1 hour...

Old 08-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
rking
Recipes 

This is what I use on my stovetop:

40 QT Covered Aluminum Stock POT w/ Steamer Basket

Works great if you dont mind using aluminum...

Cory

Quick Reply