Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dual Cooler All Grain Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
MNBugeater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Dual Cooler All Grain Setup

I have been looking at trying AG in the near future. Just trying to read as much as I can understand the process. I have been looking at the dual Gott type cooler setups. I looks like a good start. I have a few questions and assumptions if someone wouldnt mind answered and confirming...

Why the two coolers? I saw a GREAT post by a member [sorry forgot name] but he posted great pics of his process with a SINGLE cooler.

1) Boil Water
2) Add water to grains in cooler
3) Steep @ 158ish for 60 minutes
4) take runnings, recycle till clear
5) run off into brew kettle
6) sparge off 2nd runnings into brew kettle
7) make beer (boil, hops, adjunsts, etc.)

So I get this and it seems simple to grasp and a good place to start for me.

My questions are

1)I see the two cooler setups offered, what is the second cooler for and where does it fit in?
2) When you are mashing at 158 how do you adjust the temp if its in a cooler and you need to raise the temp either to keep it in the mash in range and then to do mash out at 170ish, how do you raise the temp if its not on a burner?

I think thats all for now. Thanks

MNBugeater

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
mpetty
Recipes 

The second cooler is just used to hold hot water as it drains from cooler 2 into cooler 1 (the sparge), and then from cooler 1 into the kettle. You need it because after the 1st runnings your kettle has wort in it, and you can't use it to hold clear water anymore.

When you heat your sparge water, heat ALL of your sparge water, and move it to cooler 2 (or a bottling bucket).

Primary: What Ale experiment with a friend (10-gallon batch, two fermenters, two yeasts: American Hefeweizen and plain Hefeweizen)
Secondary: None
Bottled Yellow Dog Ale | Oatmeal Stout (1st mini-mash) | Cider: Plain Apple Juice | American Amber Ale| California Common, American Pale Ale
Up next: Extra Special Bitter and another spiced cider

Old 01-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

And you heat the sparge water in the same kettle that you heated your mashing water and after you have dumped that into cooler #1, then you refill your kettle, heat sparge water and put that into cooler #2 so its ready to sparge ? Do I have that right ?

Thanks...

Old 01-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

That's right. I have a cooler, but only use it for holding sparge water. I'd recommend putting boiling water in the holding tank and adjusting the temp just before adding it to the mash tun by adding cooler water. A little extra work over having three big kegs and burners, but a lot easier on the back.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-26-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I use a single cooler even though I have two. Since I batch sparge I find it just as easy to dump the sparge water from the pot I heated in to the cooler as to dump it into another cooler and then drain it into the mash cooler. For fly sparging the second cooler would be the way to go.

I use the aluminum pot that came with my turkey fryer for heating the mash/sparge water which goes in my cooler and drains into my ss kettle.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You'll eventually see abbreviations for these "coolers" too. The second cooler you are talking about is the Hot Liquor Tank, or HLT. The first cooler is the MLT, or Mash-lauter Tun. Both are just brewing terms for what they do. Evidently once plain water hits the second cooler, we can't call it water any more, it is liquor.

You'll sound really smart if you use these terms A LOT.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-26-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
hoppy
Recipes 

This one-cooler setup is the one I am familiar with. Originally, I would use cheesecloth to put the grain on so it would drain - then I went to an old, well-washed section of a sheet because it was cheaper. Someone mentioned a false bottom in a previous thread - is the false bottom for the bottom of the mash tun cooler?

Old 01-26-2006, 08:01 PM   #8
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
You'll eventually see abbreviations for these "coolers" too. The second cooler you are talking about is the Hot Liquor Tank, or HLT. The first cooler is the MLT, or Mash-lauter Tun. Both are just brewing terms for what they do. Evidently once plain water hits the second cooler, we can't call it water any more, it is liquor.

You'll sound really smart if you use these terms A LOT.

HA.. thanks. I'll make sure i use those terms. At least I'll SOUND like I know what Im doing. So the term liquor or hot liquor is really JUST Water ?? Like the water in the sparging tank thats heating up is called Liquor ?? Thanks

I think im smarter already just saying liquor three times

Old 01-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Someone mentioned a false bottom in a previous thread - is the false bottom for the bottom of the mash tun cooler?
As long as we're being technical...no. But it would be for the bottom of a MLT (mash-lauter tun). Or a lauter tun. In a fancy brewery the grains and hot liquor are mashed in the mashtun, then transferred in total to the lautertun with some type of false bottom/filtration where the wort is runoff and sparged. However, most homebrewers (and some breweries, I think) mash and lauter in the same vessel (or MLT as it is often referred to).

Old 01-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
cgravier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default semantics...

there is also a name for the vessell inbetween the lauter tun and the kettle, i cant think of the word though its on the tip of my tongue (dysnomia) dave miller uses it...

Quick Reply