The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dry yeast Vs Liquid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #31
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I started brewing I used dry yeast only and then as I got to my 8th or 9th batch of extract I started trying liquid yeasts. I used predominately liquid yeasts for the rest of my extract batches plus the 7 PM batches I did. I enjoyed making the starters and washing the yeast when a batch was done. Once I started AG I decided it was time to get back to basics until I had the AG process itself worked out so I went back to dry yeast. The 9 AG batches I've done so far, all with either Nottingham or S-05, have all turned out great so I don't see myself going back to liquid any time soon.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #32
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckbeagle View Post
Just kegged a 10 gallon Hefe Wiezen batch. Pitched A dry yeast WB-06 in one and Wyeast 3068 in the other. Both 5 gallons were threated the same throughout. Hands down on the taste of the 5 gallon with Wyeast 3068 yeast!!!!

\
Yeah, that WB-06 seems to confirm the going wisdom that dry yeasts are great for clean American or English styles, but that Belgians, Hefes, and other specialty brews do better with the liquids. All of my favorite beers fall into that American/English vein, so the dry yeast works terrifically for me, but then I don't brew many hefes.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #33
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I pretty much use Nottingham & Safale-05 for all my beers [. . .]
Same here.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #34
Beerbeque
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I also am just using dry yeast now for all my standard ales. I have found no downside to using them but I sure appreciate the advantages over liquid yeast.
Beerbeque

Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #35
Hell Brew
Recipes 

I just brewed a saison with T58 dry yeast. It has that spicy phenolic smell to it so we will see how it goes. I live in an apartment so my yeast would sit in the hot office if I ordered liquid.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #36
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can understand having a preference for one over the other but I really don't understand any need to be exclusive.....Why limit yourself to the number of colors you paint with?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #37
Steel-Reserve
Recipes 

what about the yeast cake from the previous batch that you stored the fridge until next batch?? isnt that like 80 trillion yeast in there??

Old 08-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #38
Steel-Reserve
Recipes 

anyone? this is possible right?

Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #39
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel-Reserve View Post
anyone? this is possible right?
(Im no expert) Yes according to posts near the end of this thread -> http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=41768 But you have to do it right away. Basically move beer 1 to the secondary, place beer 2 into the primary of beer 1 same day.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #40
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr View Post
Rehydrate! It was already discussed on this forum, bot it is worth repeating: if you don' give yeast a chance go get back into shape in clean water, you will loose ~50% of them.
Details on how? I used this method and it was just OK

5. Rehydrate the dried yeast. Although many people skip this step with fair results, re-hydrating it assures the best results. While you are waiting for the brew water to boil, rehydrate two packets of dried ale yeast. Put 1 cup of warm (95-105°F, 35-40°C), preboiled water into your sanitized jar and stir in the yeast. Cover with plastic wrap and wait 15 minutes.

Next, "proof" the yeast. Start by adding one teaspoon of malt extract or table sugar to a small amount of water (1/4 cup, for example) and boil it to sanitize. (A microwave oven is good for this step.) Allow the sugar solution to cool and then add it to the yeast jar. Cover and place in a warm area out of direct sunlight. Check after 30 minutes, it should be exhibiting some signs of activity - some foaming and/or churning. If it just seems to sit on the bottom of the jar, then it is probably dead. Repeat the rehydration procedure with more yeast. (See Chapter 6 - Yeast, for more info.)
- http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter1-1.html

Quick Reply