New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dry yeast Vs Liquid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #21
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I was big into liquid yeasts when I first started. I somewhat enjoy the process of making a starter and consider it one more step of brewing fun. After using Nottingham, I will definately use it more often on standard ales. I've skipped re-hydration and sprinkled with no problems at all. It's definately alot cheaper.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #22
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

dry yeast FTW. i rarely use anything but nottingham, except for belgian, weizens and my steam beer.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #23
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01 View Post
Coopers is a good yeast for American Pale Ale, it does produce diacetyl though which you may or may not want.
Do a Redhook ESB clone then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #24
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do not enjoy making a starter, and I do not rehydrate dry yeast. Dammit, they'll rehydrate in the carboy and they'll like it. I would rehydrate myself in the same manner if I could. Don't they know there are starving wild yeasts out there that don't even have a carboy to live in? Wake the hell up and get to work. They don't need no stinkin warm water bath.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]
People Like This 
Old 08-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #25
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Absolutely NOT true. Dry yeast is cultured from single cells, just like liquid yeasts. The only difference is the ability to recover from drying. Most yeasts can't, so there are fewer dried types.
Doh. Sorry guys.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #26
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This is kind of wild. I was trying to backtrack where I got the idea for mutated dry yeast, and I came across this:

"
DRY YEAST / LIQUID YEAST

For a homebrewer, dry yeast is much more convenient than liquid yeast. There are numerous strains of dry brewer's yeast that give very nice results for certain beer styles. However, the variety of dry brewer's yeast seems very limited. I would like to see dry satchels of yeast for making German Weizenbier (like Wyeast 3068), Belgian beers (like Wyeast 1214 etc), and a better selection of dry yeasts for lagers. Can we expect to see a better selection of dry yeasts in the future? What are the technical problems that prevent development of a greater variety of dry brewer's yeast?

Sincerely,
Peter A. Ensminger
Syracuse, NY

RESPONSE:

This is not so much a technical problem more an economic issue. We would like to supply you with a whole range of different yeast strains but to guarantee competitive prices we produce certain quantities which we have to sell all of or we sell very little of it at perhaps uncompetitive prices. We have to meet our costs. If there would be a significant demand for a specific brewing yeast we would be more than happy to supply it. This is why we introduced our new lager yeast ( Diamond Lager Yeast ) last year.

Tobias"

source

Old 08-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #27
postman
Recipes 

I see there a many fans of Nottingham out there. Has anyone done a side by side comparison with US Safale-05?

Old 08-11-2008, 02:25 AM   #28
redneckbeagle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just kegged a 10 gallon Hefe Wiezen batch. Pitched A dry yeast WB-06 in one and Wyeast 3068 in the other. Both 5 gallons were threated the same throughout. Hands down on the taste of the 5 gallon with Wyeast 3068 yeast!!!!

My 2 Cents!!!!

Cheers,

redneckbeagle

Old 08-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #29
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Rehydrate! It was already discussed on this forum, bot it is worth repeating: if you don' give yeast a chance go get back into shape in clean water, you will loose ~50% of them.

Another thing: I have heard, that there are other dry yeast strains available for big breweries: K-97, S-189, W-34/70 (= Wyeast Bohemian Lager). Has anybody seen or used them?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #30
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
I see there a many fans of Nottingham out there. Has anyone done a side by side comparison with US Safale-05?
Hmm, I dunno...but I direct pitched (no rehydration) a packet of Nottingham onto a 1.095 OG and in 3 days hit 1.022. That's 77% attenuation, plus the recipe had a fair amount of Crystal and the mash temp was very high. I would not be confident that S-05 could do that...but I have never tried.

Quick Reply