Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dry yeast Vs Liquid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Quote:
The dry strains can have some mutant cells in there at least that is how I remember reading it.
Absolutely NOT true. Dry yeast is cultured from single cells, just like liquid yeasts. The only difference is the ability to recover from drying. Most yeasts can't, so there are fewer dried types.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I pitched 14g of US-05 of my Big Bourbon Barrel Brown the other night, and it's blowing off like crazy for the second day running (though I've got the temp pegged at 70 via a swamp cooler and some ice bottles). I, too, use dry yeasts almost exclusively. It's much easier to pitch the optimum number of cells with dry yeast, besides costing 1/4 as much as liquid and not requiring a starter. Of course, I brew American and English styles ales exclusively, so the yeast selection works out well for me.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I have always heard that variety is the only significant advantage that liquid yeast offers. And the ability to proof the yeast conveniently in the Wyeast "smack pack" before you open it is neat. But the notion that dry yeast is categorically inferior in terms of quality or purity is a complete farce IMO.

I think a lot of the negative perception associated with dry yeast comes from the old-school low quality homebrew kits from long ago, where the quality was spotty at best. You got a pack of something called "brewer's yeast" (one size fits all!) that probably had been sitting in a hot warehouse somewhere for years along with some crappy malt extract and hops. Naturally, the beer wasn't that good.

Most of the dry yeasts available these days are superb in comparison to the junk in those old DIY kits. Dry yeasts have some advantages--high cell count in a small package, and arguably better tolerance to heat during shipping and better shelf life. I like being able to keep 6-8 packages of dry yeast in the fridge and they don't take up much room.

I still end up using liquid yeasts quite a bit because they are available in so many different styles, but I don't mind using dry yeast when it suits my needs.

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Old 08-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
CheaperPlease
Recipes 

I've heard this argument many times and Finally I got an answer from a pro, I have been working at Crescent City Brewery for about 5 months and was surprised to find that, with our Wiess beer, our only ale, we use SafBrew, 500 grams to 250 gal. and it makes a damn fine beer. When I asked about it my Brewmaster, a 3rd gen. German brewer, why we use dry yeast he said that through the past few years dried yeast has gotten alot better, to the point it is all he wants to use for our ales. For lagers we still use liquid yeast but when comes to ale, its all dried.

"Everything works, it just works better if your not a Jackass"
OmniKracker, Shroomery Forum

Bottled - TrapStar Tripel, Accidental Pale, IPA 65
Primary - Muscle Man Cyser
Secondary - Todd's Robust Porter.

To come - Dark Side of the Moon.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
postman
Recipes 

I'm fermenting a SNPA Clone as I write this. Because I forgot to order DME for a starter, I decided to experiment. I split the batch into 2 carboys, then added different but similar yeasts. One with US Safale-05 and the other Wyeast 1056. Based on my techniques and anal sanitation this has potential to be my best brew yet. I'm definitely excited to taste the difference. Who else has tried this sort of side by side experiment with dry vs liquid and what were your results?

Old 08-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #16
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just swore off liquid yeast since I buy most of my yeast on the internet. I ordered a smack pack for my witbier and I got the ice pack too. When it got here (florida) the contents of the box, including the yeast were all HOT to the touch. Not surprisingly, the smack pack swelled only slightly in the 5 hours I gave it. It's fermenting now, slowly. Dry from now on except for the occasional strong belgian, in which case I'll make the drive to the LHBS.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 08-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I pretty much use Nottingham & Safale-05 for all my beers except my German styles, and those use German Liquid yeasts.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 08-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #18
postman
Recipes 

Are we re-hydrating or just sprinkling the dry yeast?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #19
vfinch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use liquid if I'll be doing a hefe or a certain yeast-driving style, but normally I just use Coopers dry. All my beers have turned out awesome, and I like using both. As for the liquids, I don't use starters but let it sit for 4hours to warm up and pour it in a well aerated wort and have had great success.

Next Up: Something...

Old 08-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #20
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 99

I've used dry yeast probably 90% of the time; basically, everything except lagers or beers where the yeast is a major flavor component (Belgian styles, hefeweizen). It's mostly convenience, you really need to do a starter with liquid yeast and so often, I don't know I'm going to actually be able to brew until the night before brewday.

I've heard from other sources, too, that the dry yeasts today are miles ahead of what they were a few years ago. I'll be damned if you can pick up anything different using US-05 versus WLP001, for example.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply