Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dry hops to bitter/finish hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
betch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Dry hops to bitter/finish hops?

I have some cascade and galena dry hopping some APA. Can I then take the hops and use them in a boil, as bitter or finish hops? Has anyone tried this before or if so any luck?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

You can certainly use them for bittering. I've done a few brews where I made a hop-tea and then used the hops for bittering. The tea was added to the fermenter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-13-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
moger777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I read about this in byo. Is there a way calculating ibus after a hop tea?

Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 AM   #4
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Absolutely you can do this. In fact, this is where the term "dry hop" came from in the first place!

Back in the day, British breweries making bitters would take fresh hops in from the fields (which start out dry) and add them to their fermented beer in the cask to extract aroma. Then after the beer had been removed, they would take these used hops (which are now wet) and add them to the boil of a subsequent batch to extract bitterness. All hops were used twice in this way.

Hence the terminology: wet hops = bittering, dry hops = added to beer after fermentation.

Quick Reply