Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dry-hopping w pellets?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
perry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry-hopping w pellets?

Hey, when you guys use pellets for dry-hopping, do you grind 'em up first or just plop 'em into the fermenter?

Do you wait until the fermentation starts, or do you put 'em in when you pitch?

thanks- p

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Do them in the secondary, not the primary. I rack on top of them, they break right up on their own.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
boldone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With any dry hopping I do it in the secondary. I tried pellets directly in the carboy, but did not like the floating hop debris in every bottle. I have had good results using a mesh bag with pellets. The last few batches I have done I used whole leaf and just tossed them into the carboy. There is less debris with whole leaf. I had asked the crushing question before and basicly was advised it would make no difference, as the pellets will come undone in the beer anyway.

Kegged: empty
Drinking: Commercial Craft Brews :(

Last edited by boldone; 12-16-2006 at 03:44 PM.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Just be careful when racking to the bottling bucket if you dry hop with pellets. After a while they sink to the bottom of the secondary, then just be careful not to suck them up with the racking cane. Plus the spring in the bottling wand will trap some hop material and prevent it from getting into the bottle.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 12-16-2006, 12:57 AM   #5
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had an unsatisfactory experience with dry hopping using pellets. Both of the problems I had have been mentioned already, and I now know they can be solved easily.

I was very careful when I siphoned my beer from the conditioning carboy to the bottling bucket. Nevertheless, I got a lot of loose suspended pellet hop debris in my bottling bucket, and every single bottle of my ale has hops suspended in it. The hops did not settle out completely in secondary, even though my beer conditioned for over 3 weeks.

My bottling wand got clogged full of hops. I had to take it apart and rinse it thoroughly part way through bottling. Once I was done bottling, I cleaned up and thought all was well, but when I bottled my next batch the following day, I discovered I had dried hops in my bottling wand that rendered it completely useless. It took quite a bit of rinsing and fussing to get it all out.

I bought a nylon hop bag, fine mesh. Problem solved, I hope. I'll know the next time I dry hop.

The ale, by the way, despite the suspended hops floating in it, tastes great!

Old 12-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
perry
Recipes 

I generally go directly from the primary to the keg... no stirring or agitation of any kind. In the collective experience out there, do the whole and plug hops tend to settle to the bottom better, or do they remain suspended like B4B says is the case with pellets?

I would hate to gunk up my kegs with hop debris.

Boldone, what would you think of putting a mesh bag of pellets directly into the keg? Do the bags you use contain even the small particles?

Thanks for the feedback. p

Old 12-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I also keg from the fermenter and I just bag dry hops, be they pellet of whole. I like to be able to easily remove the hops when I hit the right level. Fine mesh nylon bags work best. Knee-high nylons also work, but I'd recommend keeping them out of the sock drawer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
boldone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have considered dry hopping in the keg. I really thought about this method when I use the whole leaf, as you cannot bag them and put them in a carboy. The bags I use (fine nylon) do a good job holding in the hops.

Kegged: empty
Drinking: Commercial Craft Brews :(

Old 12-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
seyahmit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The last beer I dry hopped, I added the hops to the primary when fermentation was complete. I left the beer and hops in the primary for almost 3 weeks because of lack of time. I transferred to secondary for a week to help clear the beer then bottled. The hop aroma almost jumps out of the bottle and the flavor was great.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #10
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dry hopping is where whole hops really excel. You can use pellets but won't get as good an aroma.

Quick Reply