Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dry Hopping question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
billy915
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dry Hopping question

I recently bottled 6 gallons of a pale ale. dry hopped it with 2 oz of cascade. I have another 6 gallons ready to be dry hopped with cascade also. They are basically the same recipe just different crystal malt. Any problems with me just racking to the same secondary with the 2 oz of used cascade hops? I would also add fresh ones when racking. Thanks for your responses.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
cadarnell
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'd just clean the secondary and not try to use the old hops ... they are probably useless at this point anyway ... I wouldn't risk using the dirty secondary for a second beer ... it only takes a few minutes to clean it IMHO.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I wouldn't risk it either. If I were you I'd just dry hop in the primary.

On Deck: Jamil's Evil Twin
Primary: N/A
Conditioning:Bohemian Pilsner
On Tap:Win-Sane IPA #3, Double Minor Dubbel

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

Old 03-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
Jdk261
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Clean it up and use fresh hops. You spent all that time carefully crafting that. Eer on brew day, don't take a chance ruining it now by cutting corners...know what I mean?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 247

hops that have been exposed to beer for a long time start to break down and can impart a grassy taste. i wouldn't risk a (grassy) off-flavor for the sake of... of what, exactly? are you hoping that the used hops will impart additional flavor? they probably won't, they're used up at this point. maybe you want to save yourself the effort of cleaning the carboy? like others have suggested, after all that effort that you've put inro the batch so far isn't it worth another 15-20 minutes of cleaning?

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Quick Reply