Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dry hopping in keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
par383
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry hopping in keg?

A few weeks ago, I brewed an IPA but haven't had time to rack to a secondary in order to dry hop. I plan on dry hopping in a cheesecloth bag.

I want to brew a bock for our local Bockfest competition, but am limited to my carboy with the IPA (my other has a friend's beer waiting to be bottled). I had planned on kegging the IPA any way, so can I just throw my cheesecloth of hops (sanitized, of course) straight into my keg? Or would you just recommend forgetting the bock and dry hop for 2 weeks in the carboy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

When I've got a hoppy beer (yes, I do make them) in the keg, I dry hop it there. Often, I re-hop it as the aroma fades.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
brew hoperator

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I only dry hop in my keg now. I use a fine mesh bag and leave it in there until the keg is kicked. You might find that the hop flavor might be a little harsh or grassy for the first few days but then it mellows out and taste great.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Myke_J
Recipes 

I just dry hopped in the keg for the first time. It was a batch of Edwort's Haus Pale Ale and it came out great. I used stainless spice balls filled with whole leaf Cascade and I just tossed them in, didn't attach them to the dip tube or anything. I discovered that I could only fit about .25oz per ball though so I only got .5oz in the keg between two balls. I left them in the keg for 2 weeks and then bottled the whole thing for a party last weekend. The spice balls stayed closed and I had less then half a pint before the beer ran clear on the first pull. I'm going to do it again with the IIPA I have going now, but I'll be using pellets.

Quick Reply