The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dry Hop ruined beer...please help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've only dry-hopped a couple of times, but my second attempt was more successful.

First time I racked to secondary, added pellets straight to carboy & they stayed there for a good 3 weeks or so. Then I racked to a keg. I had hop floaties but it was a decent beer.

The second attempt, which is a beer I'm drinking now, is much clearer. With that one, I added the pellets to primary, let them sit for 11 days, then racked to a keg. I then cold crashed the keg at like 35° for 4-5 days & this helped everything to settle out. I pulled all the hop floaties and sediment out with the first 1-2 pints.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
markg388
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Dry hopping is the primary advantage we have over the commercial brews, we get to drink our dry-hopped beers much fresher while they're still at their brightest.

When I dry hop, i only use whole cone hops, and i transfer from my primary (a bucket w/ a spigot) to another bucket w/ a spigot rather than a carboy and all the hops float up top. On bottling/kegging day I open the spigot let it all drain out until there's just a layer of hops at the bottom of a bucket, works like a charm.

I've only gotten my dry-hopped beers clear through cold storage, it takes some patience and fridge space.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #13
Northcalais40
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Did you try straining the beer through your teeth? I've had good luck doing this in the past.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #14
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcalais40 View Post
Did you try straining the beer through your teeth? I've had good luck doing this in the past.
I like hop chunks, their like little juicy surprises.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:23 AM   #15
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Interesting. I dry hop the vast majority of my beers, particularly my IIPA's and love the results (qualifier - I am a hopeless hop head). I have gone back and forth between leaf (superior flavor but a hassle when transferring to the keg) and pellet (much easier to work with but not the same flavor profile). At this point we are using all pellet but we have a bunch of leaf in the freezer that will need be put to use but in the boil and not the dry hop.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #16
Eric
Recipes 

Agreed on using whole hops for dry hopping. Pellets are too much of a hassle. Never had any issues racking with whole cones.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default Dry Hoping With Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillhousesawdustco View Post
Dry hopping is definitely worth the hassle, in my opinion. Sticking your nose over a pint of IPA and breathing in those gorgeous aromas is the best (well, close) part of any hoppy beer! I'm surprised you're getting so many flakes with your hops bagged, but just give it a bit and all should be fine and delicious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Agreed on using whole hops for dry hopping. Pellets are too much of a hassle. Never had any issues racking with whole cones.
To each his own. As much as I love the flavor + aroma profile provided by leaf, I find it to be more trouble than it is worth when dry hoping. Yes, I can put a paint strainer over my auto- siphon to keep the leaf from clogging it but that is a PITA. Washing yeast is much easier to say the least with pellet. I use leaf at knockout and to randalize but that is it these days.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
1brAPTbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy View Post
I love hoppy beers but dry hopping can often put them over the top. I feel it is an overused method that can ruin a perfectly good beer. Back off on the quantity, use a hop bag to collect the debris, or just stick to late additions to the boil.
Tsk tsk tsk. If anything more beers need to be dry hopped. I have used pellets and whole hops without any problems. It makes a good beer great. You sound like a bud drinker talking like that.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #19
Northcalais40
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brAPTbrewer View Post
Tsk tsk tsk. If anything more beers need to be dry hopped. I have used pellets and whole hops without any problems. It makes a good beer great. You sound like a bud drinker talking like that.
This is the very same reason that I have for putting an inordinate amount of hot chili peppers in every thing I cook. My wife is like," Those rice crispy treats are for the kids", and I'm all " they were good, now their great"

Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #20
paradoxic
Recipes 

I've thought this in the past but a week or three of aging in the keg fixed it.

Quick Reply