Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dry Hop ruined beer...please help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Mikethepoolguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

I love hoppy beers but dry hopping can often put them over the top. I feel it is an overused method that can ruin a perfectly good beer. Back off on the quantity, use a hop bag to collect the debris, or just stick to late additions to the boil.

Wahoo Hunter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
wolkphoto
Recipes 

Default Dry Hop ruined beer...please help

So I think my dry hop ruined my beer. I made an IPA and dry hopped w/ 1.5oz of cascade pellets. The brew tasted good pre-dry hop, I racked it off the dry hops (were in a paint strainer bag w/ marbles), into the keg, and force carbed it. It only dry hopped for 6 days. It looks like I may have gotten some hop "dust" in my rack. Is there anyway to fix this at this stage in the game? The brew tastes AWFUL. I've made the recipe before, just tweaked it a little this time. I remember years ago trying a dry hop and getting hops in the bottles, and them having this same sort of flavor. The head on it looks dirty, and I can see some small floaties.

How/can I approach this to get it good/fixed if it is infact some hop dust? will it settle and pour out in the first few pints? I named this one after SWMBO, and now I have an awful tasting beer...sign of the times?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
wolkphoto
Recipes 

I guess I should add, that the flavor profile of the "ruined" beer, is very grassy, very earthy, and flat out not delicious. And after checking my notes, it was 2 oz of Cascade pellets.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have had the same thing happen before. By the end of the first week in the keg all had settled and pulled through on the first and second pints. No worries.Cheers

Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I'd give it some time to get those big particles settled and pulled out. You're probably tasting the hop particles rather than the flavor they contributed to the brew at this point.

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Damn..I hope the 1/2 pound of hops I used settle out quick in my 5 gallon batch. I don't want no grass.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
Magua
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've had good luck using gelatin to help settle the hop flakes. Normally only takes a day.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #8
wolkphoto
Recipes 

So it's good to know that you guys have seen this before. I brewed this thing over a month ago and have been looking forward to it. So what I"m describing, it sounds like I'm tasting the "hop dust"? I used gelatin during my dry hopping in the fridge @ 45 degree F. So I should give this a few days to settle out, then pour a couple pints, toss em, and move forward? Is it worth pulling out of the keg, back into the carboy, and adding gelatin? Or just let it sit now for a few days and toss the first few pints?

In regards to dry hopping...it's supposed to be the bees knees, but it's given me problems the 2 times I've tried it. Is it really worth the hassle?

Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #9
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Dry hopping is definitely worth the hassle, in my opinion. Sticking your nose over a pint of IPA and breathing in those gorgeous aromas is the best (well, close) part of any hoppy beer! I'm surprised you're getting so many flakes with your hops bagged, but just give it a bit and all should be fine and delicious!

Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Try dry hopping with whole hops instead of pellets. I put 1-2 oz in a paint strainer bag, toss it in the keg & there it stays for the duration. Unbelievable aroma for IPAs, Ambers & Pales.

-d

Quick Reply