New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Drank the hops flavor out while dry hopping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
jk025
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Drank the hops flavor out while dry hopping?

ok so, I just brewed my first IPA and it turned out great. Fermented for 3 weeks and then in to the keg. I put an ounce of centennial and an ounce of cascade to dry hop in the keg in a bag. The hop flavor was awesome and I just couldnt help but drinking it before the whole 2 week dry hop nonsense was done. So i got home from work tonight to have a beer and the nice hoppy aroma and taste has disappeared (as well as the beer went from cloudy to clear). Did i drink all the good hoppy aroma out of it some how? I'm thinking of just putting some more hops in since i have the extra ones in the fridge. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

the aroma and taste fade in time... but not overnight. maybe your taste buds have been de-hoppitized. maybe the clearing of the beer has something to do with it.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
jk025
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

yeah, i threw some more hops in and moved the keg around a bit and the taste seemed to instantly improve. It's only been kegged for almost a week, but I don't plan on drinking it until at least this weekend

Old 08-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 950

I have heard if you dry hop while the beer has lots of yeast in suspension, the hop oils will attach to the yeast and settle on the bottom when it clears. It sounds like this is what you are experiencing. I'm far from an expert though so take that for what it is worth...

Old 08-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
cabron99
"Torcedor"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Don't be afraid to re-dry hop in the keg. It seems the hop layer stratifies.

Life is too short for cheap cigars

Quick Reply