Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Double or Single Infusion?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
Justinnn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Double or Single Infusion?

I am going to be brewing a Witbeir(hoeggarden style) beer. I was wondering if I should try a double infusion for this recipe or stick with a single. Im not sure it the grains I am using will require a protein rest or not. Please direct me. Thank you
(note: this is only a 2.5 gallon batch, mash tun = 5 gallon Rubbermaid).
Grain:

2.5lbs Wheat Malt
2 Pils (2-Row)
.5lbs Belgium Munich Malt
2oz. Flaked Wheat
2oz. Rice Hulls
4oz. Flaked Rice
4oz. Cara-Pils

Hops:

.5 Czech Saaz (60min)
.25 Hallertauer (30min)
.25 Hallertauer (5min)

Flavorings:

1/2 tsp Coriander seed(crushed) (1min)
1/2 tsp Fresh Orange Zest (5min)

Yeast:

Wheinstephen Wyeast #3068

-Justin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I did an American wheat using malted wheat and did a protein rest at 122f for 20 minutes than ramped it up to 152 for 60 minutes. Some people say you can skip this step but mine had 45% wheat in the grain bill so I felt better by doing a double infusion.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Strongly depends on your setup. Dave Miller recommends that if you use a cooler MLT, that you never do a double infusion...I would have to agree at least to a certain extent. If you have a big enough cooler, a big enough brewpot and a handful of hours to watch wort boil, then I guess you could. Miller suggests that if you want to do double infusions then you should be using a metal mash tun, with a separate lauter tun, so that you can add heat directly to the tun to achieve the second infusion without having to add too much water.

Honestly, if you are wanting to do multiple rests, you should do a decoction IMO.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With today's highly modified malts, you can get away with single, but I personally like step mashes. For some reason, I get higher efficiency when I rest at 133 for 30 minutes before the main sacc rest @ 152 for 45 mins. Also helps with yeast nutrients and head retention. But certainly not necessary.

I also mainly do direct-heated mashes in a kettle, so I don't have to add additional water infusions, I just turn the burner on. Makes step mashes much easier.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-09-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
Big "A"
Recipes 

[QUOTE=Evan!]With today's highly modified malts, you can get away with single, but I personally like step mashes. For some reason, I get higher efficiency when I rest at 133 for 30 minutes before the main sacc rest @ 152 for 45 mins. Also helps with yeast nutrients and head retention. But certainly not necessary. [QUOTE]

Man I thought I was by myself on here doing a step mash, I get much better efficiency numbers.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Old 07-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
Justinnn
Recipes 

Now, If I were to do a step mash using the cooler, what water/grain ratio would be recommended for each step? I remember there being a post on here somewhere that answered this question. However, I cannot locate it.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I dont have DM book in front of me, but I believe he said that if you are going to do a step infusion in a cooler MLT, you should start very thick, maybe even as thick as less than 1qt/lb of grain.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinnn
Now, If I were to do a step mash using the cooler, what water/grain ratio would be recommended for each step? I remember there being a post on here somewhere that answered this question. However, I cannot locate it.
Yeah it has to be very thick to start, and you need a BIG cooler. I did a protein rest and then bumped to (iirc) around 148 or so in my 5 gallon, but it was to the rim.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Would it be feasible to mash in your brewkettle and then lauter in your cooler? If that is possible, I think that is going to be your best bet. You could add your water at your normal ratio, say 1.25 qt/lb of grain...then you can do your steps in the kettle with the grain using short bursts of heat. After you have finished your mash you can dump the grain into your cooler (hot side aeration is really not that big of a concern on the homebrewer level), clean your kettle, make your first runnings and sparge.

That is probably how I would go about it.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The steam infusion system posted by Flyguy looks really promising for doing cooler-based step mashes. I don't have a pressure cooker yet to try it but it's definitely on my DIY to-do list.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Quick Reply