Double Mashing BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBCSL

Reaction score
With the set up I have I max out at 10 lb grain bills and have had good results and efficieny but I've been looking to do some bigger batches that call for around 12-13 lb bills with 10 as the base and the rest in specialty grains.

I was thinking about double mashing to increase my capacity by doing the first mash with the base grains then doing a second mash/steep in the first wort with the specialty grains. I was looking to see if I would get any negative effects doing it this way but couldn't find a thread anyway mentioning that technique.

Any advice is awesome.

TopherM said:
How big is your kettle?

6 gal, and I do the biab in in a frying cage with a raised base to keep it off the bottom of the kettle in just over 4 gal of water. With the 10 lbs of grain I'm basically right at max capacity.

Do you have a 2-3 gallon cooking pot in the kitchen?? You could solve your problem for this batch by dunk sparging after the mash then adding that sparge wort to the mash.

6 gal, and I do the biab in in a frying cage with a raised base to keep it off the bottom of the kettle in just over 4 gal of water. With the 10 lbs of grain I'm basically right at max capacity.

cut back your water volumes - you are a 2:1, you can go much lower at like 1.25 qt/lbor so and still be fine, then you can either sparge dunk with the remaining amount of water needed if you have another container or just add it to your kettle before you boil

terrapinj said:
cut back your water volumes - you are a 2:1, you can go much lower at like 1.25 qt/lbor so and still be fine, then you can either sparge dunk with the remaining amount of water needed if you have another container or just add it to your kettle before you boil

Thanks, I think I'll just try double bagging and skip the cage. The reason I was 2:1 on the water is because of all the lost space with the cage, it needed that much to submerge the grain. I do have another 2 gal pot that I use to sparge with the cage's raised bottom to filter through the grain bed, will try to jam the bag back in there and hope it fits.

W/ only a 6 gallon kettle, I think a dunk sparge would be your friend. Hell, even a cold dunk sparge in a bucket will work if that's all you have.

Latest posts

Back