The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Double IPA, my biggest beer yet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
dirtymike1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Double IPA, my biggest beer yet

Wow it's been a long time since I've posted on this site, glad to see that it's only grown in the time that I've been away. Life (read: work) has kept me from brewing for almost a year now, but I'm in a new job, in a new place and have hammered out the biggest beer that I've made to date. I did a partial mash double IPA from Austin Home Brew and I hit it right on the head. Couldn't find my hydrometer but seat of the pants puts it at 10%+ but I'm thinking it's an honest 12%. Snuck a glass last night when I moved it from my primary to the secondary and it's awesome.

Now my question, how can I make this a lightly carded beer? I'm going to be bottling in a week (15 days prim, 7 days secondary) but I think this will be best with a lighter carbonation than normal. Before I just halved the amount of priming sugar, I wanted to make sure that would do the trick.

It's good to be back on here!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cutting the sugar in half will certainly do the trick. I'm assuming standard amounts for a 5 gallon batch (4 oz. sucrose or 5 oz. dextrose) and cutting that in half?... It will definitely be lightly carbonated - maybe even too lightly.

Keep in mind also that with a double IPA (now that the yeasts are tuckered out), it may take longer than usual for the beer to reach its full carbonation level. Not to mention that if you are using the same strain you use to ferment, the particular strain you use may not have much capability beyond 10-12% ABV. You might consider repitching with another strain.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

let me know when its ready and I will give you my unprofessional opinion and let you try one of my 90 minute clones

Sheldon

Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
dirtymike1
Recipes 

Sheldon, I was just going through my info on here and updating it. I just moved to Kentucky, but maybe we can work something out.

Grizzly, that's what I figured. I'll measure out the sugar and I figure if I use about 3/4 of it that I should get the level that I want. Since this is a sipping beer, I don't want the bite of the carbonation. I've already pitched yeast twice in this batch but it's pretty tired, I'll have to debate on another pitched this week I guess.

Quick Reply