Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > double crush questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Righlander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default double crush questions

hey guys, so i've been getting 65% efficiency and i'm looking to improve it. a friend told me that he has the same mash tun (the big orange rubbermaid cylinder). and he says he crushes until it's very fine. i only have access to the grain mill at my LHBS until i get a mill of my own. i was thinking of doing a double crush but i'm paranoid about a stuck sparge. should i be concerned with this or is it no problem? should i be using rice hulls? or should i just mash as usual?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
wardenwheat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Depends on your false bottom, but you could add some rice hulls and see. If that doesn't work take a look at your mash temps and time to make sure you are converting completely and then your sparge.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
tjcavitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a Barley Crusher and now double mill. My efficiency went from 70% to 82% batch sparging (last 3 batches all hit 82% exactly). I did add rice hulls and haven't had a stuck sparge yet (stainless braid circular manifold in a Rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler). Although my efficiency is great it has the unintended effect of raising my OG which I think negatively impacted the taste on my last batch (oatmeal porter). I'm saving about $1.00 per 5 gallon batch so don't know if it's worth all of the extra effort and risk for a stuck sparge.

Whatever it's worth the times I've had a stuck sparge were when I was using a heavy wheat bill and forgot to add a bunch of rice hulls.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcavitt View Post
I have a Barley Crusher and now double mill. My efficiency went from 70% to 82% batch sparging .

Why not just adjust the gap on the mill to crush a little finer.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
tjcavitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo

Why not just adjust the gap on the mill to crush a little finer.
It was a suggestion I read here. The first time I tried it and hit 82% I rechecked my numbers about 10 times to confirm The second and third batch were to see if this would be consistent with different malts (#1- Wheat, #2- Cream Ale, #3- Oatmeal Porter) My next step starting this weekend is to close the gap but it seems like gap recommendations aren't consistent so it is going to be a trial and error. The gap I have used what the original setting is.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
AiredAle
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

I crush my malt at my LHBS, and routinely double crush it. I have had no issues with stuck mashes, and it did increase my efficiency a few points. I think the rolls on the mill I use are set at 0.040" so fairly tight to begin with, but not overly so.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcavitt View Post
The gap I have used what the original setting is.

I use the factory settings. I looked at my crush after I did mine today. looked great. I get on average 75% with a 10 to 11 pound grist for 6 gallons of finished brew. @ 1050 OG

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Condition your malt with a little water before milling and it will give you nice big pieces of husk and greatly reduce the chances of a stuck sparge.

I add ~100 ml of water to a typical amount of grain for 5 gal. Some folks use a spray bottle. I slowly drizzle it in while stirring with my hand. Stir well! The little bit of water helps to soften the husk and make them less brittle so they say in larger pieces.

I routinely double crush. I own a mill and I tighten the gap after the first crush. If my motorized mill had more torque, I'd just set it at the small gap to start with.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply