Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Double Crush

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Tetzlaf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Double Crush

I don't want to have to buy a mill just yet and was wondering if I have my LHBS double crush my grain would that to anything productive or just ruin it.

Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
AiredAle
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

I routinely double crush my grain at the LHBS. The gap is set a bit wider than I would if it were mine, and I believe the second run through crushes some of the grains that made it through untouched the first time.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I don't think it would ruin it. Generally it is double crushed because the initial crush is not fine enough. Running it through another time seems to crush it finer resulting in better extraction.

Are you having problems with efficiency?

Gary

Old 04-08-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
ericm
Recipes 

I also routinely double crush at my LHBS. I've even triple-crushed before.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 AM   #5
Tetzlaf
Recipes 

My efficiency is around 70% but I am a batch sparger and I think I can do a bit better. I think the crush is holding me back. This will be a test to see.

Matt

Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Tetzlaf
Recipes 

Did two batches this weekend with grain I had double crushed. Did single infusion for 60mins and followed with the Batch Sparge technique using a mashout. Collected, measured, and then split what I needed into two more batches, stirred good for a few mins then drained. Example: Collected 3.5gal from mash w/mashout, then 1.75gal and another 1.75.

On the first batch everything went very nice got an efficiency into the pot of about 79%. The second batch I had a problem with dough balls but got them chewed up good. On the first runnings I didn't get a stuck sparge but it slowed to a trickle. Second and third runnings came through good. Got an efficiency of 80%.

Worked out real nice but I didn't dilute the wort so I will have a couple bigger beers in a about 5 weeks.

Matt

Quick Reply