Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Double check your thermometers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Diablotastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Double check your thermometers

Just thought I'd share an issue i had on one of my recent batches.

I did a Pale Ale in my garage recently and I had lost about 10pts on my efficiency. Now initially my thought was that I didn't sparge hotter eough given the garage temp which was probably around 40 degrees.

Now this may have played some role in my issues but on my next batch I decided to double check my digital probe thermometer with a $3 analog therm and my ploar ware brew pot therm and low and behold It was anywhere from 5-8 degrees higher then the analog units.

So it seems that I was mashing/sparging with much cooler water then I had thought I was on my previous batch.

My most recent batch (using the two analog/dial thermometers) I was able to get my Eff back up over 70% where it generally is.

Originally when I 1st used my digital probe unit it was accurate as I checked it against two other units. It seesm that after about 5 batches it had fallen way outta calibration...even after battery change

Just some food for thought

PRIMARY:Empty
SECONDARY:Empty
KEGGED:Orange Kolsch (BM's)
KEGGED:House Rye Pale Ale
ON DECK:Centennial Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

double check, then check again.

and aGAIN! AGAIN!!!!

TRUST NO ONE! Especially not THermmomobbbers!!!!

THEY LIE!!!!!!!!!

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
double check, then check again.

and aGAIN! AGAIN!!!!

TRUST NO ONE! Especially not THermmomobbbers!!!!

THEY LIE!!!!!!!!!

Uhhh, YEAH! What he said..... I think....

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
shamrock
Recipes 

Agree!

I have a floating analog, an analog dial type, and a few digital thermometers. At any given time, they all read different temperatures (3-5 degrees) and one of the digitals is way off (10 degrees). That digital almost ruined my first AG batch.

I would recommend to anyone that they at least borrow a few thermometers for comparison and make sure the one you're using isn't completely borked.

I use a digital with a long probe for mashing with the readout on the outside of the MLT, but now I always throw the floating analog in the tun as well just to double check.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Check in boiling distilled water, and in distilled water ice which is 75% melted, this will tell you if the device is consistent across the 0-100 range. Then find a friend who works in a laboratory, and get it calibrated at 65 Deg C. My own digital one reads 1 deg c low at 65 deg C (hospitals, food industry, QC dept in a plastics factory etc etc )

Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

the dial therms are bad news after a feew brews. i must have bent or twisted mine last fall. i normally don't stick thermometers in the kettle while boiling, dud i know how hot that is 210,here, and theres no reason to check it, but when i did an AG brew indoors i stuck it in to help control when a boilover may occur lo and behold it was reading 225-230 before the wort started boiling! this now explains why my efficiency has gone downhill the 4 brews or so. bought a new digital remote probe type and efficiency wemt up to 92%,not neccasarily a good thing with the low ibus i had built into the recipe but if the next one is as good i'll be happy then.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thermometers are the single biggest point of failure for me. I had a probe (Pyrex, but a lot of the probe thermometers all look the same with the exception of the brand) that read like 10* off a Digital Polder Thermometer. I blame these SOB thermometers for getting like 50% eff on my smash I just made. I am going to invest in a good thermometer as my next homebrew purchase.

Edit: Agreed. Dial therm suck sh*t too. I had one of those and it started f'ing up.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 01-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
PvtSkippy
Recipes 

Don't be like me and forget to take altitude and barometric pressure into account when calibrating with boiling water. The thermometer I thought was off by two degrees was actually off by eight when I factored in altitude. Didn't exactly do wonders for my mash temps.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
mrkeeg
Recipes 

So does anyone have a type/ brand that they recommend as reliable?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeg View Post
So does anyone have a type/ brand that they recommend as reliable?
I have two of these and love them. General MDP300PP Mini Digital Panel Meter with External Sensor General Tools & Instruments Formerly Mannix MDP300PP MDP 300PP

I even leave the probe immersed for the duration of the boil and I have had no problems whatsoever.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Quick Reply