Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Double batch results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
shataway
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Double batch results

A while back, I posted the following:

My goal is to fill two corny kegs from a single batch. I am limited by my boil kettle (turkey fryer) to roughly 6 gallons. I am considering mashing and boiling to get 6 gallons of 1060 for example. Put 3 gallons in each fermenter bucket and top off each with 2 gallons to get 10 gallons of 1040. I plan to use Beersmith to compensate the hop usage. Any thoughts?

After the boil and cooling, I had 5.5 gallons of concentrate + break + hops. I had used Whirlfloc and FermcapS in the boil. I whirlpooled and let it sit for 30min while I hydrated 2 packets of yeast.

Bucket #1:
2.75 gallons of clean wort plus 2.75 gallons of top of water. Mixed well and pitched the yeast. Fermented 2 weeks via swamp cooler at 67 deg roughly

Bucket #2:
2.75 gallons of everything else plus 2.75 gallons of top of water. Mixed well and pitched the yeast. Fermented 2 weeks via fermentation chamber at 66 deg.

The recipe was Biermuncher's Centennial Blond and the OG/FG was met. Bucket #1 going into the keg tasted as expected (yummy). Bucket #2 was surprisingly bitter/hoppy. The Cascades really had a presence. It is probably as hoppy as a pale ale but not as much as an IPA.

FermcapS is said to increase hop utilization. I think Bucket #2 got the most of it. Maybe the last 5min hop addition of Cascade kept giving as well.

Although I "failed" in my original goal, I am happy with the unexepected results. One batch and two different beers in the kegs. I am eager to see how the two age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not sure how both would be that much different, same wort, same yeast?

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 01-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
shataway
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Yes. Same yeast.

I think that since the hops were added to the boil kettle and all of the break/trub/hops made it to bucket #2 made the difference. Had I kept the hops in a mesh bag and removed them at the end of the boil, the two would have been much closer. Maybe next time I will do that. Then the difference would be just the break material.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I think you'll end up with similiar beers. I have noticed the same thing you decribe. Alot of the break material is in suspension towards the bottom. Once it all falls out , I bet you'll have similiar beers.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Quick Reply