Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Double Batch to One Fermentation Vessel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
keyman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Double Batch to One Fermentation Vessel

I am planning on brewing two 5-gallon batches of the same beer. Can I put both batches into one 15-gallon fermentation vessel? When do I pitch the yeast, on the first run or the second run? Don't have any way to brew a 10 gallon batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

How far apart will the two batches be brewed?

Old 07-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
keyman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
How far apart will the two batches be brewed?
one day brew 1st batch then 2nd day the second batch.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
JRinke
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Pitch the yeast after you have put them both in. Make sure you prepare a large enough starter. Keep the wort from the first batch sealed up tight until you are ready to pitch and be extra careful with sanitation since it will just be sitting around until you get the second batch done.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
adamc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would think pitching the first day would hurt anything. Just my initial thought.

May I ask why you recommend he wait?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Yeah, wouldn't the first batch just become a huge starter?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
bluelakebrewing
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

had the same question and asked the brewer about this today at work. He instructed to pitch enough yeast for both batches as soon as the first batch is in and aerate extremely well. That will essentially act as a large starter and then add the second batch as soon as possible.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
JRinke
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

But you don't want your first batch to become a huge starter, you want it to be tasty beer. No one drinks the nasty run off from starters.

By simply waiting the extra day, you can combine the two batches and prepare them for yeast pitching at the same time.

Think what would happen if you have yeast happily munching away at the sugars in your wort then 1-2 days later, you throw in a bunch of wort that is potentially 5-10* hotter or colder, sloshing it around and oxidizing the beer. You are going to change the condition of the yeast and shock it.

Now doesn't it just make sense to wait that extra 24 hours and make sure everything is controlled for?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I actually use Sanke fermenters, so I use a no-chill method to double-batch. Mash, boil, dump while boiling into the Sanke, cover with orange carboy cap with holes capped. I then make a new batch right away, or I've brewed on successive nights. I try to adjust my hopping to work with some of the general rules of thumb for hopping no-chill brews.

I've also done it where I brewed two batches of the same beer, chilled in-kettle, and combined in the fermenter. A couple times that's been a two-day affair, as it's been said, if you have good sanitation, a couple days is fine.I always pitch once I have the fermenter full, and at pitching temp, and oxygenated.

I've never tried the 5 gallon starter idea, though I might give it a go on something in the future. I think the advice given, to pitch full yeast amount, aerate big on the first 5gal, then add the second batch un-aerated as soon as it's at the current fermenter temp, might result in success.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #10
keyman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think I might start early in the morning and batch the two in the same day. I think Jrinke has a point. It would be a good idea to blend the batches then pitch the yeast. The temperature would not effect the yeast this way. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply