Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Don't know what I'm doing wrong....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
planecrazy29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Don't know what I'm doing wrong....

I've got about 4 AG batches under my belt, but have yet to have one come close to my desired OG. My efficiency runs about 58%. The LHBS has a monster mill that is set to .042 for the crush. It gives a very nice crush. I have a 2 cooler setup and fly sparge. Any ideas on how to increase my efficiency? The latest brew was 4 lbs of white wheat, 6 lbs of 2 row pale ale and 1 lb of vienna. My pre-boil gravity was 1.032 and volume was about 6.5 gallons. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
WhenInMinnesota
Recipes 

Start off with asking your LHBS to run your grains through twice. If that doesn't fix the problem then you'll probably have to provide your whole brewing process for people to analyze and look for solutions.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There are a number of things, and I'm sure some of the guys out there with more experience can throw in more: what temps are you mashing at? how long are you mashing? and what temp are you sparging at? are good questions to start off with.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Oscbert
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

try batch sparging once and see if it helps your efficency.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Assuming your crush is good....

First and foremost, I would try batch sparging. It is faster and more forgiving than fly sparging, which can be subject to channeling effects if you're not using the right type of false bottom.

-Make sure your thermometer is calibrated. Double check your mash temp with another calibrated thermometer. Ditto for calibrating/checking your hydrometer/refractometer.

-Check your mash pH. If you water happens to be highly alkaline and you're brewing lighter beers, you could be outside the range for proper enzymatic activity.

-Be sure you are measuring your volumes correctly. Brewhouse efficiency is difficult to measure accurately if you don't know your system losses precisely. You may be collecting more wort than your software is projecting.

-Do an iodine test to ensure complete conversion of starches.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1105 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

My LHBS has a giant mill that is great and I set the gap to .028 and get efficiency in the 70's. It sounds to me that the gap is set a little loose based on my experience. Try crushing with a tighter gap. Try making one adjustment at a time and keep detailed notes. I noticed that when I mash towards the thin side at 1.5qts/lb that I got better efficiency than when I mashed thicker around 1.25qts/lb. Each system is different so YMMV.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 430

How long is your runoff? If you run it too fast you are going to lose some efficiency

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 06-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
bcgpete
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

+1 on thermometer calibration

Old 06-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

I'll add to the mile-long laundry list of questions: does your mash hold temperature well? If you're losing heat, how much? How long do you typically mash for? Have you tried doing an iodine test to make sure you're getting full conversion (you probably are, but it's a cheap and easy thing to check).

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 06-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Also what water are you using?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply