Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Doing mash the night before?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
DavidSteel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Doing mash the night before?

I'm thinking about doing an AG mash tonight, letting the wort sit in the pot over night and then starting the boil in the morning. Has anyone tried this? Any ill-effects?

I know it is probably not advised, but I only have a couple of hours to spare tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should start the mash tonight to save time or not. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

First thought is souring. It will be like the Kentucky Common brews or Berlinerweisse.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 12-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
First thought is souring. It will be like the Kentucky Common brews or Berlinerweisse.
Well damn hahaha

Old 12-23-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
Mongo64
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm thinking maybe this would work if you heated the wort to something like 180. (When they pasteurize milk they don't heat it to boiling) High enough temp to kill the bugs and denature enzymes?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Lots of folks do it successfully, including several folks on here, and the owners of my LHBS, and several folks on Basic Brewing Radio if I recall correctly. If you are using a cooler mashtun and wrap it in a sleeping bag and keep it in a warm place then there will be very little temp loss, and NO risk of souring.

If you look down you will see 1 thread in the similar threads box, and I know there are several more. So do some digging.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
GeorgeH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One of the owners of my LHBS does this. He mashes and lauters into his brew kettle at night, puts the lid on the kettle, and brews the next morning.

Primary: Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale
Secondary: Needs cleaning
Kegged: Graff, Web Interaction Wit, Edmund Fitz clone Porter, AHS's Pliny the Elder clone
Bottled: Holiday Ale

Old 12-24-2009, 12:42 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

A link from the web

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=30815

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-24-2009, 04:37 AM   #8
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well, I'm not mashing overnight. I'm doing the mash and then putting it into my brew kettle for the wort to sit overnight.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #9
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Revvy: thanks for pointing out the thread suggestion, I couldn't find it in the search. It's too late to do it now and I'll just have to wake up extra early to do the mash. Got to go to a family gathering at 4 p.m. I wonder if I can finish an AG batch, chill it, and pop it in a carboy in time. It's my first AG batch (and 2nd batch ever) so this should be interesting lol. I just know that my mashing and wort-gathering will probably end up taking 2-3 hours due to some unknown reason as of right now. It's my first time using my build mash tun as well. Hope this thing will work okay, haha.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
andysim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSteel View Post
I'm thinking about doing an AG mash tonight, letting the wort sit in the pot over night and then starting the boil in the morning. Has anyone tried this? Any ill-effects?

I know it is probably not advised, but I only have a couple of hours to spare tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should start the mash tonight to save time or not. Thoughts?
I do this all of the time with no problems.

Primary - Air
Secondary - Blood Orange Hefe
Oak Rum Barrel - Sour Saison #2
Bottles: Sour #1
Kegged - Gumball Head Clone, Joco Choco Ringer Brown Ale, 1/4 Nut Notty Brown Ale 1 empty :(

Quick Reply