Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > doing first AG tomorrow fly sparging question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
PastorofMuppets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default doing first AG tomorrow fly sparging question

Okay I am doing my first All grain batch tomorrow morning.

I have the 10 gal rubbermaid round cooler with false bottom all SS.

I am using beersmith. Grain bill is 12.26 lbs. Its suggesting 18.53 gallon strike water heated to 165 for a 152 degree 60 minute mash. I choose single infusion no mash out medium body.
I was going to batch sparge but would actually like to fly sparge.

I need advice on my plan. I want to do the initial mash and vorloff
and then can I keep the lid off the cooler and drain out slowly while pouring 1 qt at a time through a colander that will sprinkle over the grain bed? What temp should the sparge water be? Is that plan workable? I mostly want to make sure I get good efficiency. Beersmith says the fly sparge will be 4.75 gallons. I dont have another cooler but i do have big enough pots to heat water. I dont have a device designed to fly sparge. Can I proceed with fly sparging or should I batch it this time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 459 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 207

IMO, if efficiency is your concern then batch sparge this time and get yourself properly set up for fly if that's really what you want to do. Your proposed method will not generate consistent results

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
PastorofMuppets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
IMO, if efficiency is your concern then batch sparge this time and get yourself properly set up for fly if that's really what you want to do. Your proposed method will not generate consistent results
I fully believe you but can you elaborate on why?

is it because the lid is off the mlt?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

With that set up, I would batch sparge, you won't do any better fly sparging with this method. I would do a mash out with 1 gallon boiling water, using colander, stir, rest for 10 minutes, then vorlauf

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Old 03-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorofMuppets

I fully believe you but can you elaborate on why?

is it because the lid is off the mlt?
It's because when you fly sparge it's important to maintain a level if water over the grain, equal and even distribution of water over the grain to prevent channeling and a rate of flow that should take about 45 minutes to an hour.

Simply pouring hot water through a colander is a difficult way to achieve this and typically efficiency will suffer

Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
Hoppity
Just brew it!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Once Vourlaff is clear you are ready to Sparge. Your Colander idea is sound. Whichever method you use, make sure the water line is above the grain bed while you Sparge. The slower the better. You probably want to run 180-190 degree water over the Colander to run through the mash to your boil tank. Try to limit the flow to >1.5 hours (5 gal batch). An hour won't hurt, but you want it to last as long as your patience allows. Take real-time temp measurements of the grain bed as you Sparge (if you can). This will help you adjust your process for next time or allow for temp input changes for this batch. Sugar conversion is best ~150F for mashing. Most brewers Sparge with higher temps to 'rinse it out'. Don't overfill the boil tank, and if so boil longer to get to target volume. My theory on over-boiling is it is easier to add water later than it is to go back in time and boil longer.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
PastorofMuppets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltroha View Post
With that set up, I would batch sparge, you won't do any better fly sparging with this method. I would do a mash out with 1 gallon boiling water, using colander, stir, rest for 10 minutes, then vorlauf
okay

so I do the initial strike, mash for 60 min at 152, then add 1 gallon boiling water, stir, rest, vorlauf, drain out, then add the batch water, wait 15 min, vorlauf again, drain again, then boil as before?

or not that?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
mtbiker278
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

18 gallons for 12lbs of grain? I hope those are quarts and not gallons. Check your beersmith units settings.

As for the fly vs batch I've experimented with both. With what you have I would stick with batch sparging. Fly sparging can be difficult to get the optimum input/output flow matched. If you have a sight glass on your mash tun it's definitely easier. Doing by eye on the inside graduations on the cooler is tricky. The biggest problem you would have is disturbing the grain bed, and potentially letting it drain too much. Neither are catastrophic but it will negate the benefits of fly sparging since you would essentially be doing an overly complicated batch sparge one quart at a time.

Prepare for Ludicrous Speed! Keezer Build

Old 03-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorofMuppets

okay

so I do the initial strike, mash for 60 min at 152, then add 1 gallon boiling water, stir, rest, vorlauf, drain out, then add the batch water, wait 15 min, vorlauf again, drain again, then boil as before?

or not that?
To batch sparge read this:
Www.dennybrew.com
Everything you need to know and fail proof!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
PastorofMuppets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbiker278 View Post
18 gallons for 12lbs of grain? I hope those are quarts and not gallons. Check your beersmith units settings.

As for the fly vs batch I've experimented with both. With what you have I would stick with batch sparging. Fly sparging can be difficult to get the optimum input/output flow matched. If you have a sight glass on your mash tun it's definitely easier. Doing by eye on the inside graduations on the cooler is tricky. The biggest problem you would have is disturbing the grain bed, and potentially letting it drain too much. Neither are catastrophic but it will negate the benefits of fly sparging since you would essentially be doing an overly complicated batch sparge one quart at a time.

yes its quarts. 18.53 quarts and then 4.65 gallons for the sparge water.
I am going to do a batch sparge this first time. I know there will be plenty more brews to work on the process. I just read several threads about horrible efficiency which scared me.

Just read a weird setting in beersmith. It says check to drain mash tun before sparge..Does that mean if you have room you can add the sparge on top of the original mash? If so I have never read that before? it would save a vorlauf and some time, but i still dont know how mash outs and all the rests and stuff really work.

Quick Reply