Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Doing First AG in the Morning - Advice or Pointers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
bmock79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc
Completely different advice from me. Don't take any notes, just do your first AG and have fun without worrying about anything but getting comfortable with the process. Next time get serious when you realize it wasn't a big deal to move to AG.
+1000 to this maybe even your first couple of ag's. Getting comfortable with YOUR process is key, then get into precise details after that. Have fun because I didn't on my first few, I was way to anal!! And the beer still turned out decent!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
jd9452000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice. I have already told myself that this first ag beer might end up tasting like crap and that's fine with me. I am more about learning my equipment this first time and getting my technique down and just enjoying brewing with some friends. If the beer turns out great, then that just makes it even better. I'll be posting my "after my first ag brew" and what I did wrong this evening. Again, thanks for all the advice.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
jd9452000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmock79 View Post
+1000 to this maybe even your first couple of ag's. Getting comfortable with YOUR process is key, then get into precise details after that. Have fun because I didn't on my first few,<u> I was way to anal!!</u> And the beer still turned out decent!
1+ I'm going to do my best to just enjoy the process, but I too can get that way and get bogged down with too much of the details and forget its suppose to be fun.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
Butter
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

To the op, we'll be doing our first all grain batch today also. I haven't done one in a LONG time, and that was with the old Phil's lauter system. I was starting to get anxious last night worrying about sparged volumes, strike temps and so on, but screw it. We're gonna throw caution to the wind and go for it. Believe me, we will screw up enough for the both if us.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Yesterday I bought 8.5 pounds of grain and ran my new MLT system through a mash cycle just to make sure nothing leaked, hoses were long enough etc. It was worth the $10 and hour and a half to know that come brew day it will all workout without thinking about it.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
Iqbal624
Recipes 

Good luck! I couldn't get my stuff in order so I won't be brewing this weekend. It is going to be nice to try my first AG brew next weekend. I'm just doing biab... Please update the thread with your learnings!
Thanks

Keg 2: Chinook IPA
Keg 3: Air

On Deck: Anay Black IPA

Batches attempted: 3

Old 01-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #17
jd9452000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Default First All-Grain Done

Well, I learned alot from my first ag brew. My effeciency was 72%. My SS braid was destroyed though, so I think I will be building a copper manifold for my round igloo 10 gallon water cooler. I also learned that once you get your boil to going, turn the propane burner down. I started with 6.25 gallons of wort pre-boil and at the end of the 60 minute boil I had 3.5 gallons of wort. So, next time I will adjust that. Other than the screen and boiling the wort to hard, it went pretty good. I had a gallon of water left over from my HLT, so I added that to my 3.5 gallons of wort to make it 4.5 gallons in the fermenter. We'll see how this turns out. If the beer turns out good or bad, i learned alot on this brew and I'm sure I'll learn more as I progress. Thanks for the replies and the pointers.

Quick Reply