Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Doh! I used flaked wheat instead of malted wheat...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
Newton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Doh! I used flaked wheat instead of malted wheat...

I'm a noob all grain brewer (4 batches). I brewed up my first wheat beer yesterday and everything went super smooth. My grain bill was for 6 lbs pale 2-row and 4lbs white wheat malt. Target OG was 1.057 and I got 1.055. The only potential problem is that I just realized that I used flaked wheat instead of malt--so I used 4lbs of flaked wheat. I was just looking at Palmer's "How to Brew" and in his wheat beer recipe he uses malted wheat and flaked wheat interchangeably. That brought me a sigh of relief. But what should I expect here? I obviously got a bunch of sugar out of the flaked stuff and the fermentation is going vigoursly. How does flaked wheat change the beer compared to malted wheat?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The flavor isn't all that different, but wheat malt is self-converting. At 40% of the bill, no problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Newton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey David, thanks for the response. I've found some old threads where people asked about this and evidently flaked wheat is supposed to take longer (i.e. 90 to 120 mash) and some 6 row for a good conversion. I did the standard 60 at 152 with single infusion and no 6 row and evidently the conversion went fine. Maybe I got lucky.....

Old 04-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You pretty much mashed a witbier grist. I see nothing wrong with that.

Quick Reply