Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dogs and brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Epimetheus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default Dogs and brewing

Things I have learned while trying to brew around multiple dogs. Siberian Huskies anyway.

1. If it is edible, it will be eaten. If it is not edible, it will be shredded or punctured.
  2. DME will be discovered, no matter how deeply you bury it in the bits and parts bin. Said DME will be distributed widely around the kitchen and on all the stuff in the parts bin.
  3. DME is damn sticky.
  4. The siphon tube can move at high velocity from one room to another.
  5. Keep a lid on all buckets unless you like dog slobber in the wort.
  6. Star San when properly diluted is tasty. At least, my dogs will not leave it alone.
  7. Herbs on the counter will be thoughtfully distributed evenly around the kitchen.
  8. It is possible to pull an empty 8 gallon kettle off the stove. It makes a hell of a bang.
  9. The tubing for chiller the should be supported above the counter or it will be pulled out of the sink and flood the floor. No, a little higher than that...
  10. Yeah, I know hops are bad for dogs. I'm considering it.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
WharfRat
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lets all admit too that husky fur is an inevitable component of everything we make - I think it helps my sparges.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I hope you keg or I'd hate to think what bottling day at your house would look like. My girl likes to pull the pit-bull-in-a-china-shop routine, but that's just one dog.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Right. I forgot about the Husky fur. Thank you.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
Paps
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 330

dog slobber double bock?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Brewing fun with Labradors... (my Yellow Lab Maggie)

Labrador fur is almost as good as rice hulls for a wheat or rye sparge.

Fermenter bucket lids are stored very high in the garage, when not being used. See this thread... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/when...ow-lab-408738/

A Labradors wagging tail can wreak havoc on anything at tail level. A Labs tail is always wagging... so our brewery is ajdusted accordingly.

Siphon tubes make great chew toys as well. I have a lot on hand...

Taking a quick lick out of the wort is a sport to a Labrador. Mine gets sneakier all the time...

LME and DME has to be kept out of sight until right before adding to the pot.

The shiny silver SS spoon setting carefuly on the pot handle will be licked as well.

For some reason my Lab is fascinated by the big orange cooler mash tun. No matter where she is... when she hears me open it she comes running to see what's inside. My wife has to dang near stand there to hold her back from getting her nose in the grain when I pour it in the cooler.

Malted grains make horrible dog farts later on.

But... my brew day would not be complete without her there.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"
People Like This 
Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Bauer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

And these are all reasons why my dogs are trained to stay out of the kitchen. Sometimes when I'm throwing one of their toys for them to fetch it accidentally goes in the kitchen. They can be going full speed and will come to a screeching halt at the doorway. I do fully expect them to be sitting in the doorway during my brew days though.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
reed1911
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I get help from the 90lb Choc. Lab and 160lb Saint every weekend. Do you know how much slobber will collect in an hour? I made the mistake of making brew biscuits one time, now they smell the wort and sit waiting. I've dispensed with the biscuits and just give them the grains once cooled, they never fight over food switching bowls like synchronized swimming with dog food, once the grains go in the bowl though its all over, mine is MINE!

The Saint chuffs a lot (dog snort) and its funny as hell in the morning getting ready in the bathroom to watch him inhale at the airlock and chuff, inhale, chuff, inhale....

My cat, thank god (who's fur seems to be lighter than air) just like to sit and watch, until I do the whirlpool, then it is a fight to keep paws out. Little girl cannot stand water, but acts like a fisher cat when wort is around. Cat fur too just adds to the flavor and texture, talk about OPB

Old 07-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
firerat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 164

My basset-pit mix used to help when I brewed inside. She knocked over a garbage can or 2 hunting spent grains.

Now that I brew outside she's not as interested. Spoiled brat likes the A/C. Especially in South Florida in July.

"I never apologize. I'm sorry but thats just the way I am."--Homer J. Simpson

Old 07-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
And these are all reasons why my dogs are trained to stay out of the kitchen. Sometimes when I'm throwing one of their toys for them to fetch it accidentally goes in the kitchen. They can be going full speed and will come to a screeching halt at the doorway. I do fully expect them to be sitting in the doorway during my brew days though.
Amen! Dog knows enough to stay out of the kitchen whenever we are doing something in there. He never gets food from the counter so he knows there is no reason to be there (scraps always go into his bowl).

Net result is not having to worry about a dog being underfoot, still don't have a solution to the odd dog-hair that turns up in various bowls, brewing equipment etc.

Quick Reply