Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Does stored grain absorb odor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
ArtimusBeerimus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Does stored grain absorb odor?

I want to store some grain in some cleaned and Oxycleaned frosting buckets. Problem is, I can't get rid of the frosting odor. I knew this was likely an issue going in...

The question is this: do I need to worry about the grain being negatively impacted by the frosting smell? The smell isn't over-powering, but it's noticable.

My gut tells me that longish-term grain storage probably isn't that great an idea in these buckets because the grain might absorb the odors.

Can anyone out there with any experience provide a little insight?

TYIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I scored about 12 frosting buckets over a couple years and currently have grain stored in at least 8 or nine of them. I cleaned them in oxyclean and hot water then starsan. All of them seemed to either retain a very slight hint on the inside or maybe since I didn't clean the outside as well that some of the smell tainted my schnozz from the outside of the bucket. Either way, I have had open Maris otter and 2-row as well as specialty grains and none of my beer ever tasted like frosting. Lol. Hope that helps.

Keep in mind I'm talking a very slight hint, if it wreaked, I wouldn't do it.

Another thing is that the only thing that stored really long in my buckets are 1 or 2 pound increments of some specialty malt like black Prinz or chocolate and they are in seperate ziplocks.

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply