Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Does spent grain make good chicken feed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
CATFISHER74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Also makes good bread and dog biscuits and I'm sure there are tons of other things I haven't tried yet.
Make sure there is no hops just grains.

I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Brewing removes most of the carbohydrates, but leaves the protein behind. Good for chickens, even better for animals that can digest cellulose.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
zhopper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How about horses? Do they eat spent grain?

Old 04-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #14
RIBeer
Recipes 

Ok - I have a good friend who raises chickens and would probably love to have my spent grains. How do I go about handling the hot grains after the mash? Gut instinct says to just spread em out on a tarp or something to dry - am I on the right track?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #15
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIBeer View Post
Ok - I have a good friend who raises chickens and would probably love to have my spent grains. How do I go about handling the hot grains after the mash? Gut instinct says to just spread em out on a tarp or something to dry - am I on the right track?
You can spray the grains with some cold water and let them run off to cool them
down.

If you don't feed them within a few hours you will regret the smell. Drying them will solve that issue.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #16
Iechyd Da
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I gave my friends some of the spent grain for them to take to the farm. The chickens wouldn't touch it, the horses didn't like it, but the cows loved it. The animals are picky eaters, just like the owners.

Kegged & Drinking: Abbess Blonde, Irish Red, American Amber, Apfelwein, Liberty Pale, Belgian Wit, Barleywine

Upcoming: Black Pepper Pale Ale, Bleached Blonde Ale

Old 04-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #17
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I vote yes

I just wish the hell they would stand back a bit, at least one gets a back full every time.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Quote:
Make sure there is no hops just grains.
Wrong.

OSU is working with local chicken farmers on substituting hops for antibiotics. So far the results have been excellent.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #19
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Wrong.

OSU is working with local chicken farmers on substituting hops for antibiotics. So far the results have been excellent.
I think he was talking about making the dog treats and making sure your dog doesn't eat the hops. Im not sure if that is true either but I have read not to give dogs hops.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #20
ewbish
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIBeer View Post

I just add a bit of cold water to the MLT, and set it aside until I get the boil going. Then I carry it up to the coop and dump it straight on the ground. Chickens love it.......they go nuts. I free range them......but when they see the MLT coming......they all fight to get into the coop where they know it'll get dumped more often then not.

If I'm doing a lot of batches over a weekend........I'll dump it in the yard in front of the coop and spread it with a rake.

Only reason to dry it is if you want to store it and use it as a feed supplement over time. I just give it to mine all at once.....and they will gorge on it. I currently have about 30 adults, and 20 juvies......they eat a 10lb grain bill of spent grains in about 3 hours.......then they just lay around and squirt out eggs for the next 3 or 4 days........won't even touch their scratch, wheat, oats, or flax seed. I always get the best egg production following a grain binge like that........easily 1 per hen per 22-24 hrs.

We use no layer mash/antibiotics or any non grain supplement. They are free range and all grain fed plus fresh veggies and alphalfa and timothy hay for production of high Omega content etc. My brew grains are like their big treat.

Quick Reply