Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Does smoking malt impact diastatic power?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default Does smoking malt impact diastatic power?

Ok, next batch is to be a smoked hefeweizen, a style that isn't that common but apparently is traditional and that I think is pretty damn wonderful. Kind of a gentle smokiness that's nice and smooth to overlay on a pretty mellow base beer. I'll be doing a very simple recipe - Pils malt, rauchmalt, and wheat malt, single decoction, single bittering addition.

Question when I'm formulating the recipe - does smoking the malt impact its diastatic power? I'm just trying to get my percentages down between the wheat, the pils, and the rauch. My initial thought was to do 50% wheat/25% rauch/ 25% pils - but if the smoking process denatures some of the enzymes in the rauchmalt, I might need to bump up the percentage to the Pils. You know what I mean? I know you can do a beer with 100% rauchmalt, it has enough enzymes to convert itself - but I'm not sure if it has enough to convert itself AND some of the wheat.

Anyone know?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

One thing about .cough cough... homegrown is that you never ..cough.. know
how strong it is until cough... you try it.

Seriously, though, I think you need water present to get the enzymes working, so I don't think that just smoking the malt will affect the enzymes.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Malted wheat should have enough enzymes to convert itself. I think you should be fine...you could through in some 6-row just to make sure plus it will help with lautering (if needed).

Old 10-09-2007, 02:22 AM   #4
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Seriously, though, I think you need water present to get the enzymes working, so I don't think that just smoking the malt will affect the enzymes.
You need water present to get the enzymes working, but you do not need water present to destroy (i.e., denature) them. Dry heat will do it, like when you roast malt. I haven't looked it up, but I believe that most smoked malts are not smoked hot enough to make much difference.

I agree with Beerrific. Your grain bill looks good enough to get you where you want to be. It's a cool question to track down, though.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-09-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

In an ideal world, I'd like to bump the rauchmalt up to 30% - 35%, but I don't dare without an answer to this question. I suspect what I'll end up doing is backing down a bit on the wheat, maybe to 40% or 45%.

I didn't think malted wheat had ANY enzymes... maybe I'm thinking of flaked?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:32 AM   #6
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I can't say about homemade rauch malt, but, i do know the commercial stuff can be used as 100% of the malt. That doesn't mean anyone would do that, it just means it has the diastatic power to convert itself. hope this helps.....

Old 10-09-2007, 02:32 AM   #7
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I didn't think malted wheat had ANY enzymes... maybe I'm thinking of flaked?
Malted does...I have heard of people doing 100% wheat beers. I believe flaked has none.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:42 AM   #8
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Question when I'm formulating the recipe - does smoking the malt impact its diastatic power? I'm just trying to get my percentages down between the wheat, the pils, and the rauch. My initial thought was to do 50% wheat/25% rauch/ 25% pils - but if the smoking process denatures some of the enzymes in the rauchmalt, I might need to bump up the percentage to the Pils. You know what I mean? I know you can do a beer with 100% rauchmalt, it has enough enzymes to convert itself - but I'm not sure if it has enough to convert itself AND some of the wheat.

Anyone know?
AFAIK smoking malt should not adversely impact it's DP enough to really be concerned about it. What I do know is that DP typically decreases as color increases, so keeping this in mind, ask yourself what is the color of the smoked (peated) malt that you are using. My guess is it's probably negligible. When you go to the LHBS to pick the stuff up, ask to see the malt analysis for the smoked (peated) malt. my guess is, that it's DP is going to be between 65-100' Lintner.

I hear what you are saying and you should not need to bump up your Pils malt for this grain bill. FWIW malted wheat has the same DP as malted barley. You could push up to 70% wheat and still be fine

I would however recommend 8oz to 16 oz rice hulls and a protein rest as an insurance policy for our huskless friend.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

IIRC from oneof the numerous brewing books I have read but not test brewed yet _ the temperature at which the barley is smoked_ will determine net change in diastatic power.

Still doesn't answer the OP question.

I have seen Weyerman Rauchmalt smoked in Bamberg, Germany on the shelves of my local homebrew store. So if the real thing has X% wheat you should be able to match that if you are running the real Rauchmalt.

Alternatively you could smoke your own pale malt in a low temp smoker.

HTH,
S

Old 10-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Or just to be on the safe side, grab some Alpha Amylase next time you're placing an order or at the LHBS.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply