Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Does malted wheat need a protein rest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Cromwell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Default Does malted wheat need a protein rest?

I'm making an AG Witbier and had planned to use flaked wheat but the LHBS didn't have enough. They did have a barrel of malted wheat which said clearly on it "needs a protein rest". But the LHBS guy said he'd just do a sacch rest and be done with it.

I have a Rubbermaid Mash tun, so it's inconvenient to do a step mash, but I can do it. I could put it all in a pot, do the protein rest, then raise it to 150 and dump the whole thing in the mash tun...
Or I could decoct it.

Suggestions?

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Do you (or does the shop) have a malt analysis sheet for it?

If the malt is under-modified (needing a protein rest) the Fine/Course extracts will differ by >1.5% or so. If the fine/course extracts are pretty close to one another (<1%), the malt is well-modified and doesn't need a protein rest...in fact a protein rest is usually bad in that case since you'll get a thinner body than intended.

Usually the malt analysis sheet will have a column labeled FG/CG or similar, or you can take the FG & CG and do the math yourself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply