Does it make sense for my efficiency to increase when going to 10 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annoyingrob

Reaction score
So, I've done probably 6 or so 5 gallon AG batches, and I'm almost right on 67% efficiency every time. It's not the best, but I'm happy with the consistency over the efficiency.

last weekend I stepped my normal brew day up, and did a 10 gallon batch of a new IPA recipe I was trying. The only thing I changed was that I decided to mash at 156 rather than the 152 I normally do, as I'm starting to wonder if my thermometer was off. Long story short, I ended up with 85% efficiency! It worked out well because I accidentally added about a gallon more water than necessary, and ended up hitting my OF perfectly, with an extra gallon of beer.

Did stepping up from 5 to 10 gallons have some drastic change in efficiency? Like is the extra weight of all that grain squeezing something out of the grains below it? I noticed I ended up running off more liquid than I usually do from the grain, maybe an additional half gallon. Or do you think the change in temperature was more likely the cause, and I just happened to push the temperature up into a reasonable mash temperature?

Oh, random story, it started snowing just as I mashed in. There was no turning back. Turned out to be a really frustrating brew day, had to throw up a tarp on my deck just so I could boil in peace not being covered in snow :) It was cold and windy and took a lot longer running in and out all afternoon but it was still a lot of fun.

here snow in IL im starting to miss the the snow......efficiency could be the larger batch or grain bed or the temp will make the sugars more soluable esp if you are not using a mashout.

Back