Does this Look Correctly Crushed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegerm

Reaction score
This is a hefeweizen recipe. 50/50 german pils and red wheat grist. That's it. I was targeting 70% efficiency, but I am getting 53%. I typically get around 80% efficiency when I lauter as slowly as I did with this mash, doing a double batch sparge.

I have only been doing all grain for a little less than a year and this is the 2nd hefeweizen I've done, the last one was also a low efficiency mash, but I just figured that was a learning experience and not a crush problem.

It seems to me like there are a lot of uncracked grains in this mash, but I could just be crazy. Does this look normal to you or like the grain wasn't properly crushed?

DSC02186.jpg

yeah I have been thinking it's time to invest in my own mill, I think this seals it.

is it that wheat is a smaller grain and the mill was set for a coarse barley crush so the wheat just went through the rollers mostly untouched? do people normally put wheat and barley together in a mill for crushing, or do them separately with different mill settings for each? am i going to wind up with a hefe-pilsen and not a hefeweizen? lol

Just had the same thing happen. 58% efficiency and my grain looked similar to yours. I'm now the proud owner of a JSP Maltmill. I'm done relying on other people's equipment.

I would agree that it looks a little coarse. I've been getting great results with a Monster Mill at .046.

thegerm said:
is it that wheat is a smaller grain and the mill was set for a coarse barley crush so the wheat just went through the rollers mostly untouched? do people normally put wheat and barley together in a mill for crushing, or do them separately with different mill settings for each? am i going to wind up with a hefe-pilsen and not a hefeweizen? lol

Wheat typically gets the exact same gap as barley. Don't think that's quite the problem.

That looks closer to uncrushed, than crushed. I'd go back to wherever sold you that grain and suggest they try again.

Back