Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Does all grain brewing become expesive

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #31
reverendj1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You skimmed over it.
Doh!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #32
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I think you can absolutely make AG brewing "cost effective" but I also think the folks who have kinda made this point are even more accurate... and that is, if you're brewing to save money, you're in it for the wrong reasons.

I don't care how many bulk grain buys someone gets in on or how ghetto their set up is... it's not a "cheap" hobby and you are always going to be buying random stuff whether it is a $6 hydrometer to replace the one you just broke, or some star-san, or a new carboy, etc. etc... and the amount you're going to "save" on each case is going to take forever to make up for the costs... not to mention the big chunks of time you're going to spend doing it. Take ANY kind of "dollars per hour" estimate on what your time is worth to you and you blow any savings on AG brewing out the window.

Just my opinion but people should brew because they simply enjoy doing it, learning how to make "better beer", enjoy the fruits of their own labors, etc.... because again, I just don't see the "I'm going to save so much money!" argument as a realistic one.

Again... can you make it "cost effective"... absolutely and our esteemed colleague Revvy just talked about that but... I dunno... I think saving money is the wrong reason for doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #33
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I think a lot of the expense has to do with what type of brewer you are.

If all you're in it for is to brew occasionally and have beer you can say you brewed yourself, you can get away with a simple, inexpensive stove-top setup.

If you like to brew often and get into seriously improving the beer you are making, you probably need to invest a little more to streamline your process and provide a little more control.

If you have buddies over a lot and fly through the beer you make you may have to invest a little more to increase your capacity.

If you are into hobbies for the gadgets and equipment (home-brewing seems to attract an above average percentage of engineer and DYI types) you may invest more to facilitate that part of the hobby.

As folks have correctly pointed out, you don't have to spend a ton of money to brew great beer and you won't necessarily brew great beer just because you spend a ton of money.

Like sweatpants, home-brewing flexes to accomodate our personal dimensions.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #34
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
This is mine...

That is not ghetto, TYVM.

You have a nice burner stand, a custom handmade hardwood mash paddle, a perfectly good milk crate and the same Craftsman clamping table thing I have. You mash turn even has a nice ball-valve.

This is ghetto.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ghetto-brew-kit-369699/

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 03-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I picked up the stuff for my next brew--a parti-gyle of two Scottish Ales that included 28 lbs of base malt. I picked everything up at my LHBS for about $44. When you consider it is about four cases of beer that would commercially cost me $80 plus dollars then it sounds like I'm saving a lot. However, when you could the man hours formulating a recipe, studying books, articles and podcasts to make sure everything is being done right and the multiple tries taken to dial in a recipe, along with extra equipment bought throughout brewing then it is not really something I do to save money. I get pleasure out of spending those man hours in my hobby. I enjoy looking for, building, or buying the next best toy for brewing. I get pleasure from tasting my own beer that I made or having my friends compliment it that any cost is worth it.

One does not start wood working because they want good furniture cheap. One does not raise their own meat because it will be cheaper. One does these things because they want quality and because they believe they can do it well and enjoy doing it.

The promise of cheap beer may bring someone into the hobby, but it will not keep them in it for long.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #36
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
That is not ghetto, TYVM.

You have a nice burner stand, a custom handmade hardwood mash paddle, a perfectly good milk crate and the same Craftsman clamping table thing I have. You mash turn even has a nice ball-valve.

This is ghetto.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ghetto-brew-kit-369699/
Actually the burner stand is a 20 dollar turkey fryer closeout, the mash paddle is I think pine, made by a friend. That is not a craftsman it's a 15.00 POS from harbor frieght. the milk crate I stole from a homeless beggar on the side of the road( JK) And the mash tun was made from the cheap and easy thread. I still maintain it's ghetto.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #37
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
I buy bulk grain through a buy we do on here, 35 bucks for a 55 pound sack of two row. If I use 10 pounds of base malt per batch of beer that's 10 batches of beer for 35 in just base malt.
Actually, that would be 5 and a half batches for $35.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: 2.3'd | Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale
Revvy Likes This 
Old 03-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #38
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Oh my dear thadius, so spot on, and so terrifying!

The responses are entertaining, but I doubt the OP was only half serious. And even if he was...
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: 2.3'd | Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 03-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #39
Genuine
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For my last 5 gallon batch, It'll cost me 61 Cents per 12oz beer poured. Not bad at all.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #40
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

How can you take in to account any kind of workhours into a HOBBY? When you look at your cable bill, do you include the 136 hours you spent watching TV last month? If so, watching TV has to be probably the most expensive hobby ever.

Quick Reply