Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Do you think the professional breweries tell the truth

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #41
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 863 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post
I disagree that the incentive is zero. Building goodwill and positive brand image with home brewers has value.
likelyhood that they would build goodwill with home brewers; inversely proportional to the size of the brewery

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

passedpawn Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #42
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3283 Times on 2046 Posts
Likes Given: 2802

Quote:
I disagree that the incentive is zero. Building goodwill and positive brand image with home brewers has value. How much value? I sure don't know, but giving some of the most passionate beer drinkers around an additional reason to like your brewery has value.
OK, some of that, but I'm sure if you looked at a pie chart of their customers, home brewers would be a very, very small piece. Of course, I'm making up statistics, but wth this is the internet.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #43
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
OK, some of that, but I'm sure if you looked at a pie chart of their customers, home brewers would be a very, very small piece. Of course, I'm making up statistics, but wth this is the internet.
I am almost certain you are correct.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #44
RuffRider
Master Chief's Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have to agree that I don't think there's any real incentive (from a business perspective) for a professional brewery to offer up their recipe's to the homebrewing world. What would we do? Organize and boycott them for withholding them? Doubtful. That being said, many professional brewers (particularly craft brews) have ties (or a past) in the homebrewing world and have a general love and appreciation for the brewing of good beer. I think it actually makes some of them feel good to share it (and maybe puts their brand in a positive light in some circles). A local brewery here (Holy City), sells the same grains, hops, and yeast used in their beers in an effort to promote homebrewing.

As for clones, I read the blog from Starr Hill Brewery and I have to agree with those who say his response appears condescending with a lecturing tone. If he doesn't want to give out recipes, like others have already said, just say so. But, since he gets asked, I guess he is entitled to whatever answer he would like to give.

As for brewing clones, I do it on occasion. The first clone I ever brewed was a DFH 60 minute. I thought it tasted great and I enjoyed the heck out of it. My next brew is going to be a clone of Pliny the Elder. Why? Because I live in South Carolina. Mr. Pliny has never graced South Carolina with his presence so I have never had one. I would like to brew a clone of it to get some idea of what Pliny is like.

Just my humble .02 cents. Cheers!

EDIT: Here's the link to Holy City where they discuss homebrewing
http://www.holycitybrewing.com/homebrew-supplies

On Tap: PTE Clone
Kegged: None
Primary: House Pale Ale

Old 02-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #45
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRider View Post
I have to agree that I don't think there's any real incentive (from a business perspective) for a professional brewery to offer up their recipe's to the homebrewing world. What would we do? Organize and boycott them for withholding them? Doubtful.
Certainly not. Although I will say that when it comes to choosing between two otherwise equally appealing beers, I am now less likely to pick beers from Lazy Magnolia as a result of their response. So no, not a boycott, but when all else is approximately equal, their choice will impact my buying decisions.

I fully admit that my personal decision will have no noticeable impact on their bottom line, and even the cumulative impact of all homebrewer's who took the same course of action would be minimal at best, and probably also not noticeable.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #46
RuffRider
Master Chief's Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Certainly not. Although I will say that when it comes to choosing between two otherwise equally appealing beers, I am now less likely to pick beers from Lazy Magnolia as a result of their response. So no, not a boycott, but when all else is approximately equal, their choice will impact my buying decisions.
Great point! I was just sitting here thinking about how I would feel staring at a Starr Hill brew and deciding on a purchase. Right or wrong, I don't think I would buy one right now.

On Tap: PTE Clone
Kegged: None
Primary: House Pale Ale

Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #47
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRider View Post
Great point! I was just sitting here thinking about how I would feel staring at a Starr Hill brew and deciding on a purchase. Right or wrong, I don't think I would buy one right now.
in his defense, they do include ingredients on the particular brews' web page, just not exact grain bill or hop schedule.

doesn't make him any less of a dick

at the store today, I did pass up Northern Lights, The Gift and The Love for some other beers

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #48
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
in his defense, they do include ingredients on the particular brews' web page, just not exact grain bill or hop schedule.

doesn't make him any less of a dick

at the store today, I did pass up Northern Lights, The Gift and The Love for some other beers
No one is missing anything by passing up a Starr Hill. ba-ZIIING!!

Sorry, just had to snark. They make a couple decent beers but I don't care for most of their stuff. Anyway, sorry for going off topic...

Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #49
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwash View Post

Sorry, just had to snark. They make a couple decent beers but I don't care for most of their stuff. Anyway, sorry for going off topic...
says dude who lives 15 miles from the brewery

Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #50
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwash

I agree with this wholeheartedly, and did before I saw the snarky comment from them. Their beer is adequate, IMO, but nothing more. Rather drink Hardywood, Smartmouth (b/c it's local), or a West Coast IPA. But mostly I drink my own, clone or not

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Quick Reply