Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Do you squeeze the bag -BIAB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Parkinson1963
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Do you squeeze the bag -BIAB

After hanging the bag to drain in BIAB do you squeeze the bag?

I do as every drop is more wort, but am I wrong?

Parkinson's Law of Beer "Thirst increases in proportion to the amount of beer available"

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab...n-make-240401/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes you squeeze. In fact read this, and watch the basic brewing video I linked in this post. The thread is a discussion of the myth that squeezing the grain bag in extract w/ grains extracts tannins, but I reference the fact that in biab we do squeeze. In fact James at Basic Brewing is squeezing in the video.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sque...9/#post2029310

I also cite the pioneers of BIAB, the Australians saying to go ahead and squeeze the bag later in the discussion.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-09-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
phishfood
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's hoping that we get some more discussion about this.

Today. After mash, before sparge, there was 2.5 gallons of water left out of 4.5 in the grain bag, and this was with about a 15 minute drip dry. Sparge over, and I spun the bag while holding the top tightly. About 2 quarts magically reappeared. A little scared of the tannin extraction boogeyman, I admit. But would I have been better to do this post-mash rather than post-sparge?

Sorry, Revvy, but I have lots of trouble viewing videos and such, with dialup, or I promise I would watch what you posted. But I did read the linked thread, and it gave some useful insight.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
bmud0314
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Since I have done a whopping 2 BIABs (one still in primary, other in secondary), I will share my vast knowledge on the BIAB technique.

I have mashed the grains in all but 2 gallons of the water for 60-75 mins. I pull, hold till my arms get tired, kinda move the grains from side to side in the bag, and then dunk sparge (~15 mins) at about 170 in the two extra gallons. Then I pull, put a strainer in the bottom of my bucket, and place the bag on that for 5-10 mins, then dump that extra stuff in the kettle. Efficiencies were 71.7, and 73 for the two batches. Good enough for now, I might try a bit longer mash. I cant say how they taste in the bottle yet, but, I tasted the wort, and it was delicious!

My vast knowledge didnt take that long.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
Fatgodzilla

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default never trust Australians

Quote:
I also cite the pioneers of BIAB, the Australians saying to go ahead and squeeze the bag later in the discussion.
Fair dinkum. Simple here cobbers. In simple terms,tannins are likely to be extracted when you apply too much heat in the mash. BIAB is no different.

When you BIAB, are you applying too much heat when you squeeze the bag? If you are, your body temperature is too high (you are on fire) or there is an unusual amount of heat still in your bag (ie you mashed too high). If you stick with the right temperatures, I can't see anyway that squeezing the bag can somehow extract tannins from the grain.

I'll be buggered if someone in the good ol' USA can convince me I'm wrong about that!

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.—Mark Twain
fatcop Likes This 
Old 05-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgodzilla View Post
I'll be buggered if someone in the good ol' USA can convince me I'm wrong about that!
Seem to have a bit of a hangup on Americans. I haven't seen anyone in the "good ol' USA' trying to single you out and convince you that it was bad. On the contrary.

I had brewed this way a number of years ago, but was unaware that is had a name and was actually being employed. And I didn't squeeze because all of the literature at the time advised against it. I'm not a scientist so I had no means of measuring the amount of tannins extracted. But it seems as if someone has.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 371 Posts

if squeezing the bag has no I'll effects, wold squeezing the grain in a non BiaB situation be feasible? I have a round cooler and a rectangular cooler. I'd imagine putting a sheet pan over the grain, or a round pie tin and squeezing it down would have the same effect as squeezing the bag. I'm sure someone has tried this and there's a reason we don't do it. Just wondering is all

Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts

Hmmm, you mean like tamping the mash tun to reduce absorption loss? Why don't we do that?

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 05-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 371 Posts

exactly...or is this something I've been missing?

Old 05-11-2010, 12:16 AM   #10
Fatgodzilla

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
suprchunk;2051308]Seem to have a bit of a hangup on Americans. I haven't seen anyone in the "good ol' USA' trying to single you out and convince you that it was bad. On the contrary.
A while ago when the "no chill" (or hot wort straight to a sealed air tight container" was in session on this site I remember the ballywhoo coming about botulism and other maniac suggestions. The American public know all about pre-emptive strikes, so I reckon what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Quote:
I had brewed this way a number of years ago, but was unaware that is had a name and was actually being employed. And I didn't squeeze because all of the literature at the time advised against it. I'm not a scientist so I had no means of measuring the amount of tannins extracted. But it seems as if someone has.
Yes, it has been around for a long time in a few different countries, but has been popularised and championed by one Aussie brewer in particular who has taken the concept back to the masses. When squeezing your grain bag you are putting minimum pressure on the bag. Most BIAB bags are capable of being suspended in the air and spun around and therefore squeezed to allow the wort trapped betwen grains to be pushed out. It would need a fantastic (and unlikely) amount of pressure to be further placed on the bag of grains to squeeze tannins out of the spent grain. As we shed brewers are warned, mash/sparge out at no hotter than 80 degrees celcius (do your own conversion) as hotter temps will extract the tannins from the grain. It is the temperature that causes tannins to be released, not the squeezing.

In simple truth, you can't get every bit of wort out of the bag no matter what, and the small amount you have left after you have taken the vast majority of the sugars in the wort will have minimal impact on the final outcome.

Simple solution, get your runnings, hang you bag and squeeze it for the small amount of wort that gravity alone is having trouble extracting.

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.—Mark Twain

Quick Reply