Do you oil a wooden mash paddle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this mash paddle from More Beer. I've started worrying that the oil the paddle was treated with could cause problems with my beer. I've been using a wimpy plastic paddle. Obviously, this paddle is designed for making beer, so am I just overthinking things?

Wooden cutting boards are oil with Mineral Oil which is food safe. As long as you don't oil the paddle and then use it right away you shouldn't leech any oil into your wort. Do not use cooking oil because these go rancid after a short length of time (once exposed to O2).

I wouldn't worry about it, a little food grade lemon oil won't make any difference. BTW, nice paddle, but pricy! I want one.

You can get Butcher Block Oil, a food-safe wood finish, at most good woodworking stores. I believe it's primarily Mineral Oil. I've used it on cutting boards, pastry boards, and wooden spoons and, if you let it dry well after you apply it, there's no discernible leeching to whatever you use it with.

Nice mash paddle! Sounds like its treated with nothing more than what you've cleaned up a few poker chips with in your day :mug:;)

dont use peanut oil. it will go rancid and ruin 15 gallons of lager that went through 8 weeks of tempurature controlled fermentation and dry hopping only to have the brewer realize that the whole thing was skunked beyond belief 10 days before the big oktoberfest party he and his friend were having.

Back