Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Do you mash out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
TeleTwanger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't mash out and I do fly sparge.

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 PM   #12
richkev
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use 10 gallon round (igloo) coolers and fly sparge. I don't usually mash out. I just make sure my sparge water is ~170F and I give my mash a good stir with my paddle before I vorlauf. Seems to work just fine. I've tried mashing out, but it didn't seem to make a difference, plus, with the plastic coolers, the only way to mash out is to add more (hotter) water to your mash. I will probably consider it if I ever upgrade to a Brutus type system.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:16 AM   #13
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm in slight disagreement with the reasons for mash-out that are commonly given by home brewers. Although it matters little, but mash-out doesn't denature all enzymes. Its temperature is actually chosen such that the alpha amylase is not completely denatured. It is still needed to convert rouge starch that is released during lautering. Not so much a worry of home brewers, but bigger brewers do seem to worry about that. But mash-out does fix the fermentability by denaturing the beta amylase. While a-amylase can create fermentable sugars, it is not very good at doing that and the fermentability increase during mash-out is quite low. The benefits of the mash-out are increased protein coagulation which increased the size of the flocks and the lowering of the wort viscosity. Both help the run-off speed which is especially important in fly sparging.

If your sacc rest didn't convert all the starches, you may see an improvement of the efficiency when doing a mash-out. This is because the a-amylase becomes more active at the higher temp and is able to convert some more starches more quickly. But most of that efficiency gain will be unfermentable dextrins so you should not rely on a mash out for good efficiency. Just today I saw a jump from 90% to 95% conversion efficiency through the mash-out. After lautering this translated into a 3-4% efficiency boost.

ajf, I'm surprised to read that your efficiency dropped with a mash-out. Was that for the same recipe?

Kai

Old 11-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #14
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I often mashout when batch sparging just to add the extra water to the mash to make both drainings of the MLT equal in volume. I figure if I am adding the extra water at the end of the sac rest I may as well mashout.

Craig

Old 11-27-2008, 02:05 AM   #15
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
ajf, I'm surprised to read that your efficiency dropped with a mash-out. Was that for the same recipe?

Kai
I always used to fly sparge, and my efficiency (with mash out and no stupid mistakes) always came out at 84 - 86% The first two batch sparges I tried, I used a mash out, and got efficiencies in the mid 70's. Then I dropped the mash out and increased the sparge water volume and temperature. Efficiency increased by about 5%
Was this because of the mash out or because I had a bit more experience with batch sparging? I don't know. That's why I posted "my efficiency seemed to drop a bit with the mash out"
Yes, all the batch sparge attempts had identical grain bills.

-a.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #16
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you're batch sparging you don't have to add additional water (in addition to your batch sparges) to mash out...just heat your second sparge water such that it will bring the grain bed to 168. It'll probably depend on your system. With mine, water around 195 will hit 168 for me.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber View Post
So when batch sparging it does not seem to make a difference? I guess I can understand for fly sparg so the grain bed is 165-170 at the begining of the sparg.
It seems to make a very small improvement in efficiency for me, due to reducing the viscosity of the wort. Although usually a "mashout" is used to denature enzymes and stop conversion prior to lautering. In batch sparging that really isn't needed. In fly sparging, it can be useful.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #18
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrewer View Post
If you're batch sparging you don't have to add additional water (in addition to your batch sparges) to mash out...just heat your second sparge water such that it will bring the grain bed to 168. It'll probably depend on your system. With mine, water around 195 will hit 168 for me.
What temp. are the mash runnings if you don't do a mash out for batch sparging? I would think they are < 168F during the time you batch sparge. Why is that not a concern?

NHC 2011 pics

NHC 2010 pics

Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #19
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
What temp. are the mash runnings if you don't do a mash out for batch sparging? I would think they are < 168F during the time you batch sparge. Why is that not a concern?
With a 5g MLT and a grain bill of about 8 lbs, I found that 2 infusions of 3g at 185 degrees, the first infusion raised the mash temp to about 164, and the second infusion raised it to about 168. With a 10g MLT, a slightly larger grain bill and the same sparge water temp. left the temp. way short.
The optimum sparge water temp. depends on the grain temperature, the amount of grain, the thermal mass of the MLT, the temperature of the MLT, the free space in the MLT, and the amount of heat lost while stirring, as well as the volume and temp of the sparge water.

-a.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

My first runnings are exactly whatever the mash temp was ~152ish. My first sparge infusion at 185 gets me into the low 160's and the second infusion of about 180F gets me to 168ish.

Well, that's how it was before I got a direct fired mash tun. Now I just crank up the burner at the end of the mash and stop heating at 165F. THEN I run off and sparge with 170F.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply