Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Do I Need a Grain Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
chipsah
Off the Wagon Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Do I Need a Grain Mill

I've been AG brewing for about two years now, but I have always depended on the LHBS to mill for me. I've got my new system in place and am happily operating again after a 6 month hiatus. Before Christmas, my mother asked me if there was anything I needed for my brewery, and I honestly couldn't think of anything outside of money to buy ingredients. Am I missing out by not milling my own grain? I mean, I've bought plenty of things I didn't need (e.g. Blichmann Tower of Power - OK, I love it). However, I have always balked at buying a mill because they have one right there at the LHBS. Please convince me that this should be my next purchase... and while you are at it, tell me which one to get because I am a helluva lemming right now at 2AM.

-r

Off the Wagon Brewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn_Brewer View Post
My theory is that OCD is only a disorder if you don't know how to channel it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
b-boy
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 389 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I got one about a year ago. Best thing I ever did. I usually order grain online and I was getting mixed results with my crushes. The last straw was when I got an entire order uncrushed and had to do it with a rolling pin. My OG was awful. I have the Barley Crusher. I'm pretty happy with it, but it's gotten bad press as far as customer service goes lately. I can't comment on that.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 184

My LHBS is awesome and also mills my grain I dont really see the point of getting one if your place is happy to do it for you. Plus I usually pick the owners brain about what im brewing while he does it.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
KeyWestBrewing
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 526

Well there's a few benefits to milling your own grain. You can buy in bulk and save lots of money, you use freshly milled grain to brew with, and depending on how fine the crush is at your LHBS you could get better efficiency.
My last batch I had sent pre milled instead of milling it myself and only got 60% efficiency compared to my normal 75%. So in a way getting better efficiency saves money on grain too. I think it's worth it, just make sure its a kind you can chuck a drill to. Hand milling 20#s of barley sucks.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

CityOChampBrew Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

You are obviously a control guy from your description.. and dressed in green spandex.

Owning a mill simply takes one of the major factors about our brewing (the crush), out of the hands of others and pays for itself with some planning.

I hit 80-82% efficiency every time, never have a stuck sparge, and buy in bulk. Without owning a mill, this would be more difficult or impossible.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

In my case, it costs me about $30 in traveling expenses to visit the HBS and I brew about once every other week.
Without a grain mill, I would have to visit the HBS about once per month and buy malt by the pound (or 10 lb) bag. This would cost me about $45 per month just for grain.
Alternatively, I could order on line, which would cost me about $43 per month.
With the grain mill, I visit the HBS about once every 6 months and it costs me about $120 for grain, and $30 for traveling = $26 per month, saving me $17 per month. The mill has paid for itself many times over.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
mabrungard
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The only reason I have my own mill is because my LHBS had really crappy mills and the resulting crush was seriously reducing my efficiency. If your local shop's mill is crushing well, then stick with it. My old shop in Tallahassee did a great job. My local shop's crush dropped my formerly consistent 80 to 82% extraction efficiency down into the low 70's.

Another plus is that I get to buy my base malt by the sack.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 12-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I usually have 150lb of basemalt on hand...@ $35 a sack vs 55 a sack at lhbs the mill has paid for itself a ton.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Mill is one of best investments I made.
Not only that I don't have to pay for milling in my LHBS but it gives me more flexibility in brew process and I can crush it tighter that LHBS would.

I am using MM2 and so far I am very satisfied.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
monsterbrewerMa
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with most everyone here. A huge benefit is buying unmilled grain my the sack. It saves a ton of money in the long run instead of buying a few pounds here and there. You can save even more if you get in on group buys where a group of people split 2 pallets of grain. My lhbs is an hour away, so on top of gas money maris otter for example is almost 80.00 for a sack. I just got in on a group buy for the same brand (plus a few more sacks of other grain) for just under 40.00. I have already paid for the barley crusher for the savings.

Quick Reply