Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > DMS in Pilsen Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
Fletch78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default DMS in Pilsen Malt

My first AG last weekend was all Pilsen, I only did a 60 minute boil and it took an hour to chill it to 100 degrees. I wasn't too worried about it, until I started reading some things here over the last week about DMS particular to pilsen malt.

Is this beer going to just suck? I never smelled any creamed corn, during the boil, after the boil, or from the airlock.

Why does pilsen malt have more DMS potential than regular pale malt?

Is it really that big of a deal? There seems to be some debate, I'm not trying to stir up too much of an argument, I really just want the lowdown on it.

Thanks!

(go dawgs!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Click HERE

Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
DBear
Recipes 

I do 90min boils for all brews over 50% Pils. Do a vigorus boil with bubble masses breaking the surface (not leaping out ot the pot)

Cool down below 140 ish as quickly as you can and DO NOT place the kettle lid on tight when first cooling down so the steam carries out the SMM/DMS

-Cheers

Old 07-27-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
rafaelpinto
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch78 View Post
My first AG last weekend was all Pilsen, I only did a 60 minute boil and it took an hour to chill it to 100 degrees. I wasn't too worried about it, until I started reading some things here over the last week about DMS particular to pilsen malt.

Is this beer going to just suck? I never smelled any creamed corn, during the boil, after the boil, or from the airlock.

Why does pilsen malt have more DMS potential than regular pale malt?

Is it really that big of a deal? There seems to be some debate, I'm not trying to stir up too much of an argument, I really just want the lowdown on it.

Thanks!

(go dawgs!)
Its been a long time, but how did the beer turn out?

Quick Reply