Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Diving in head first!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
EuBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Diving in head first!!

I finally made the decision to say screw it and just dive straight into all grain and skip the extract. I know there are those out there laughing and shaking their heads right now, but too bad, my mind's made up!! I have my mash tun rigged up (coleman cooler with ss hose braid). I bought a 30 qt turkey fryer setup today and I have a couple extra pots to heat strike and sparge with. I won't bore you with the other equipment but suffice it to say equipment wise I'm covered.

I'd like to do a Clone of my beloved Boulevard Pale since I can't get it out here in Ohio, but haven't seen any recipe's out there. In a perfect world I'd rather do the Boulevard Single Wide IPA but I'd better steer clear and save some cash should things go bad wrong! Here's a listing off Boulevard's website, can anyone help me craft a recipe from this??

STYLE: American-style Pale Ale

INGREDIENTS: Pale, Caramunich & Caravienne malts. Magnum, Cascade, Simcoe & Fruggles hops.

STARTING GRAVITY: 12.2 degrees Plato

ALCOHOL: 4.2% by weight, 5.4% by volume

BITTERNESS UNITS: 31 IBUs

AVERAGE EBC COLOR: 20

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. It is not so uncommon to start with All Grain and I don't think anyone will shake their head.

It sounds like you have done some homework but just keep an eye on the numbers and the boil. If you are doing 5 gallon batches in that 30 Qt pot, you are going to have to watch very closely for boil overs. I boil 5 gallon batches in a 13 (52 Qt) gallon pot for example. A little over kill but it was cheap.

I have not had this beer before either so I am sorry I can't be much help in that department.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
EuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm hoping my LHBS has some fermcap drops to help in the overflow department. I'm putting everything into Beersmith to see if I can play with the numbers and get somewhere close. The turkey fryer is a temporary setup as I am waiting to get my keggles welded up and I think I just heard the mailmain drop my SS fittings in the mailbox That was fast!! Ordered the fittings late Tuesday!! Thanks to Stainless Steel NPT Pipe Fittings, Valves, High Pressure and Tube Fittings - 304 and 316 !! Anywho, back to the Beersmith to play around with the numbers!

Thanks for the encouragement!

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
sundowner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuBrew View Post
I finally made the decision to say screw it and just dive straight into all grain and skip the extract. I know there are those out there laughing and shaking their heads right now, but too bad, my mind's made up!!
I'm not laughing. So many times new brewers spend money on stuff they'll eventually upgrade or don't need. It's a waste of money. I say if you're really serious about homebrewing, jump in with both hands and feet. You'll save in the long run buy not buying some of the dumb equipment that's pawned off on people new to the hobby.

Now if you're not sure homebrewing is what you want to do. That's another story.

A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

Old 08-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Good luck. One suggestion, though... do you have a friend or anyone local who can "hold your hand" (figuratively, unless it's mutual, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I digress...) for your first brew or two? It may not be necessary, but it might help you relax and learn.

I helped my GF do her first beer, a partial mash, and then her second, a full mash, doing a wheat beer both times. I had just started all-grain a couple months earlier, but had (about five years ago) been an extract brewer. Now, if she wants to brew, she kicks me out of the kitchen since I tend to start doing things to "help" out of habit.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
IXVolt

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Good luck, you'll be fine.

Do you and friends there that are going to brew with you, I find it helpful to have someone else around when brewing.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
EuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The only thing that looks like it will eventually end up being pawned off is the turkey fryer setup since I'd like to go all electric at some point. I've been wanting to do this since college like 15 years ago, just never had a place to do it, now I do!!

Fortunatley for me my GF is as into beer as I am. She is listed in my Beersmith program as my assistant so things should be interesting/fun/fine. Not sure this is something my Mother would like to hear but I finally found a use for my Chem minor from college

Old 08-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Welcome from Ohio. Me and TheGuy (from hilliard) had a group brew a couple weeks ago. We'd be down for another person. You could bring your equipment down and brew with us.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 08-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
EuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Welcome from Ohio. Me and TheGuy (from hilliard) had a group brew a couple weeks ago. We'd be down for another person. You could bring your equipment down and brew with us.
I appreciate the invite and will definitely take you up on that after I have a session or 2 under my belt! Are you the guy who posted something on craigslist recently about a brew club?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
kickflip_mj
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Rock on Man!

i went from brewing 1 extract batch to a full HERMS rig.. welcome to the club

Quick Reply